chapter 34: fearless

Lo'ak and Ngalu walked into the Sully's pod while laughing, meeting eyes with Neteyam and Tsireya. Lo'ak and Ngalu both looked very confused.

Tsireya and Neteyam looked at each other with a smug look on their face while Lo'ak and Ngalu ignored them.

'Okay, what the hell is up with you two?' Ngalu stepped in front of Tsireya and Neteyam, facing them.

'Nothing!' They both yelled in high pitched voices, looking at each other.

'I just wanted to talk to you, that's all.' Tsireya said, walking up to her.

Ngalu nodded while guiding her sister out of the pod.

Neteyam looked at Lo'ak smugly. Which made Lo'ak roll his eyes. 'What?'

'Where were you?'

'I took Ngalu for a ride.' Lo'ak told him.

Neteyam's eyes shot open. 'Damn, Lo'ak. You're quick with it.'

Lo'ak facepalmed. 'Not like that. We were flying around on my Ikran.'

Neteyam chuckled. 'Did she have fun?'

Thinking back to it made Lo'ak smile. Her face just lighting up and she was admiring everything around her. Neteyam had to hold in a laugh while looking at his face. 'Yeah, she did.'

'Looks like you had fun too.' Neteyam grabbed the back of his neck.

'Shut up, bro.' Lo'ak hit his shoulder while laughing.

'So, what did you want to talk about?' Ngalu asked Tsireya as they both sat down on a log.

Tsireya sighed. 'About earlier today.' Ngalu nodded slightly. 'Mom hasn't stopped crying.' She continued. 'I really think you should talk to her.'

Ngalu knew she had to talk to her. It was just so hard. She admired Ronal and loved her to death for taking her in. She always viewed her as her own mother, even if they had different DNA. Her betrayal meant a lot to her. But either way, she did want to know the reasoning behind it. Ronal would never let it slip out, she'd been keeping that secret ever since Ngalu was here. Why now? She nodded, agreeing with Tsireya. 'I know.' Her ears drooped as her feet played with the sand beneath her.

Tsireya wasn't lying. Ronal had been crying non stop for the past few hours. She couldn't contain herself and found it terrible what she had done. She regret everything. She felt like she lost her child.

Ngalu peeked around the corner. Ronal could see a figure but it was blurry, her tears tainted her vision. Ngalu stepped into her pod as Ronal rubbed her eyes, clearing them from tears. 'Ngalu?' She hesitantly spoke.

'I want to know why you did it.' She stood her ground. She was afraid she would brake again. But that isn't who she is. She's a strong and fearless leader, she couldn't show weakness.

Ronal gulped. On the inside, she was happy. She was happy that her baby had come back to her. Even if it was just for an explanation. 'Word was getting out that Payakan had returned and I couldn't bare to worry the clan so I-'

'So you just told the whole clan my deepest and most hurtful secret? The one that I've been struggling with the most. The one thing that burdens my mind all of the damn time.' Ngalu interrupted her. 'God, don't you understand how mean that is?'

'I know and I was wrong. I should have never said anything.' Ronal started crying again. 'I regret it so bad. Please, baby.'

Ngalu shook her head in disbelief. 'I am going to have to process this. I will be staying with the Sullys for a while.' She said, matter of factly. Without any sign of emotion behind her eyes, she walked out of her pod leaving emotional Ronal with herself.

She couldn't believe that the woman who'd raised her would do such an awful thing. Just because she didn't want the clan to know Payakan was back.

She angrily made her way over to the Sully's pod. Neteyam was making some food for himself by the fire as he saw Ngalu walking in. He furrowed his brows as he stood up. 'Are you okay?'

'I just talked to Ronal.' She spoke like a robot. It worried Neteyam.

'And?' He asked.

'She told everybody because she didn't want everyone to know that Payakan was back.' She stared in front of her, still not able to believe the words she just spoke.

'Fuck,' He walked up to her and pulled her into a hug. 'I'm sorry.'

She sighed, finally letting her emotions come through. 'Don't be, I'm fine.' She squeezed him while he stroked her back.

'I know you are. You're Ngalu.' What he said made her smile. Like they viewed her as a strong woman.

She backed away. 'I'm still allowed to sleep here, right?' She asked, worried.

It only made Neteyam laugh. 'No you have to sleep outside.'

Ngalu laughed at him in a sarcastic way. 'Very funny, Neyeyam.'

He looked quite disturbed which made Ngalu laugh and point at his face.

Kiri walked in and she made her way to Ngalu, pulling her into a big hug. 'I heard.' Was the only thing she said. She heard about the fact that everybody knew she wasn't really the daughter of the Olo'eyktan and Tsahìk. Kiri remembered how much she was affected by it.

Ngalu held the back of her head as she gently pulled away. 'Thank you.'

Kiri looked confused. 'For what?' She asked her, head tilted to the side.

'For being there for me.' She smiled slowly, relaxing her face.

Kiri smiled as well.

'Always.'