chapter 24: nervous

Tsireya and Lo'ak were sitting on a rock, enjoying the sun. The sound of the waves was delightful according to Lo'ak. It reminded him of him looking at the stars with Ngalu the other day.

Tsireya's spirit sister was floating around the rock, sometimes joining in on their conversation.

'Isn't the sun so nice.' She said, stretching her arms and folding them behind her head.

Lo'ak made an agreeing sound, still deeply in his thoughts. 

Tsireya gulped, looking over at Lo'ak. 'I like you, Lo'ak.' She blurted out, causing him to almost choke on his saliva.

He knew she did, he knew really well. He never thought it would get to this point, though. However if Ngalu and Neteyam end up together, he had to have a mate as well. 'Tsireya.' He looked at her while taking a deep breath. 'Indoor really know what to do with my feelings right now. You know how I'm stil torn about my home. I just can't right now.' She raised her eyebrows a little, watching his face. 'I just don't want to do this too fast. Let's take things slow, okay?' He asked her. She was a little disappointed to say the least but after a few seconds she nodded. He wasn't lying, his feelings for Ngalu grew stronger every day. He doesn't know how long he can keep up this facade.

Ngalu was patiently waiting for Lo'ak's return. She was nervously fidgeting with her fingers. When she noticed Lo'ak coming out of the water with Tsireya, her heartbeat fastened. She was sitting on a log, bouncing with her leg.

Lo'ak noticed her immediately. How could he not? It is Ngalu we're talking about over here. Tsireya waved goodbye to Lo'ak and continued on with her day. Lo'ak's eyes met Ngalu's and she felt her throat close. How could he have such an impact on her? He made his way over to her. Each step he made, made her heart beat faster.

'Hey,' He started off.

'Hey.' She said while standing up. 'You wanted to talk?'

Lo'ak sighed. 'Yeah.' He stopped for a second, thinking about what he was going to say next. It was like he was weighing his words. 'About last night..'

'Never mind last night. Just forget it ever happened.' Ngalu said, afraid he was going to say it before she could. She gazed at the sand beneath her, not wanting to make eye contact with him.

Lo'ak furrowed his eyebrows while having a complex expression on his face. 'That's the thing, I don't want to forget.'

He didn't know what to do anymore. He wanted to continue being with Tsireya but every time he saw Ngalu, he longed for her. He thought about her every second of the day. He'd wonder where she was and when he could hear her voice again. Tsireya is sweet and definitely very pretty.

But Ngalu is special.

He also didn't want to hurt his brother. He knew how much he liked Ngalu but Lo'ak did too. He'd never felt something like this before. He didn't want to give up on her. She was the one, he just knew it.

His answer shocked Ngalu a bit, she didn't expect that he would say that. Her eyes shot up from the ground and met his, looking into them.

It felt like he still disliked her a little bit. But he doesn't? She felt relieved that he didn't want to forget as Ngalu didn't want to either. She just told him that because she thought he would want that. 'It was kind of nice.' She told him.

He slightly nodded. 'Yes it was.' He stopped for a second, looking at the ground and back at her again. 'Do you want to hear something funny? That was the best sleep I've gotten in weeks.' He chuckled.

His chuckle is kind of cute, Ngalu thought.

She chuckled as well. 'Me too.' She said, making Lo'ak smile.

He looked into her big eyes. He could feel something was off. Like there wasn't any light in them. Why hadn't he noticed that before? 'Are you alright?' He asked, looking concerned now.

She frowned, looking at the boy. 'What? Yes of course. Why wouldn't I be?' She asked confused. Where did that come from?

'Are you not telling me something?' He gently asked, not wanting her to get mad at him.

It felt like her heart just dropped on the floor. Like she actually shat it out. She slightly widened her eyes as her nose twitched while she let out a shaky breath. 'What?'

Lo'ak didn't know it was that deep. Her reaction said it all. But he needed to know, he didn't know why. He wanted to know everything about her. 'Tell me.' He slightly demanded.

'I do not know what you're talking about.' She claimed while taking a step back, looking away from him.

'Please,' He begged her, his eyes turning soft.

Ngalu scoffed. 'You are insane! I have no clue what the hell you're talking about.' She yelled at him. She was getting angry now. Who did he think he was, demanding her like that.

This caused a bit of a commotion. Well, Neteyam came out of his pod to see what was going on. He saw Lo'ak and Ngalu. Of course they are fighting again. He rolled his eyes as he was making his way towards them.

Then his eyes widened and he stopped in his tracks.

Ngalu turned around, wanting to stomp away. When Lo'ak grabbed her hand, pulling her closer to him. 'Please, I don't want you to be mad at me. I just want to know everything about you.'

She still couldn't look at him. He was out of line, she thought.

He softly grabbed her chin and tilted her head up, making her look at him. 'Please,'

This wasn't the Lo'ak she thought she knew. This was the Lo'ak that came into their clan the other day. He was exactly like she thought he would be. This Lo'ak was nice.

She sighed, giving into him. 'It's a little hard to talk about.' She bit the inside of her cheek.

'It's okay, I'm here.' He said, still holding her hand with his free one.