chapter 33: flying

She couldn't spend the night with Tonowari and Ronal, it was too much. Ngalu was so extremely mad about this whole situation. Neytiri told her she could sleep on a spare mat they had laying around. Ngalu was so thankful for the Sully's. They made her feel right at home.

She was joking around with Neteyam as Lo'ak appeared. Both of them looked up at Lo'ak as he strode into the pod. His hair was wet. 'Where were you?' Neteyam asked Lo'ak.

'Right, I forgot to tell you. I was with Payakan.' He said calmly. Then his eyes shifted to Ngalu. He frowned while noticing she was on a different mat. He looked into her eyes. She seemed hurt. 'Hey, are you okay?' He took a few steps closer to her and sat down next to her.

She sighed. 'I found out who told the clan.'

Lo'ak's ears shot up along with his eyebrows. 'Who was it?' He got worked up. He wanted to know who hurt his girl like that.

She bit the inside of her cheek. 'It was Ronal.'

Lo'ak's eyes grew wide. 'What?' He couldn't believe it. The woman who'd raised her, betrayed her like she was a stranger. 'Oh, Ngalu.' He pulled her into his arms, resting his chin on her head. He can't imagine how bad she must feel.

Neteyam watched him and smirked. Lo'ak shot him a look that told him "don't you dare say anything". Neteyam shook it away as he smiled at his brother. He seemed so happy with her.

'I like this gentle side of you, Lolo.' Ngalu said, making Neteyam almost choke on his own saliva after hearing her nickname for him. He tried his best not to laugh at her comment while she smirked at Lo'ak.

'Trust me, you are the only person seeing that side of him.' Neteyam told her, laughing.

Lo'ak scoffed. 'And it can disappear just as quickly.' He backed away from her as she refused and pulled him closer again, holding him tightly.

'Hey, I wasn't done.' She said, burying her face in his chest.

Neteyam laughed at the two. 'I'm going for a swim.' He stood up and practically sprinted out of the pod, almost slipping and falling.

Ngalu giggled before she faced Lo'ak again as she shot him a crooked smile. 'I am sleeping here tonight, by the way.'

He was surprised. Positively surprised at that. He was happy she would spend the night here. 'With me?' He asked, raising an eyebrow.

'You wish, snumìna.' She smirked, poking his side before he swatted her hand away.

Lo'ak thought long and hard. It looked like she was okay, but was she really? He wanted to do something for her. Anything to make her happy.

He thought back to the moment that they first met. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her. He noticed how she walked in, looking at their Ikran. She was in awe of the big creatures.

An idea fell into his head.

'Come with me.' He stood up and pulled her up by her arm.

She looked extremely confused. 'What are you doing?'

'You will see.' He said, taking her hand in his and pulling her out of the pod.

While they were walking, Ngalu couldn't stop staring at their intertwined hands. She felt her cheeks heat up and couldn't walk straight. She almost fell.

They made it to some kind of secluded part of the beach. Lo'ak didn't want to attract any attention as she was already the topic of the clan at the moment.

He let out a cry, making Ngalu raise an eyebrow. What the hell is he doing?

Then she saw it. The beautiful large winged creature landed right before her. Her mouth fell open a bit and Lo'ak chuckled at the sight of it.

It let out a few huffs before Lo'ak trailed his hand down its face. 'Good girl.' He said to it while patting its head.

'Holy shit.' Ngalu said, looking at the creature in front of her. Lo'ak smiled while he grabbed her hand and put it on his Ikran's head. Ngalu was mesmerized. The patterns on these creatures were just stunning. She found herself tracing some lines on the Ikran's back. 'She's beautiful'

Just like you, he thought. He made tsaheylu with his Ikran, jumping on her back.

'What are you doing?' Ngalu asked while Lo'ak reached out his hand.

'Get on.' He demanded a little while swiftly tilting his head to the side. Ngalu thought that was kind of hot so she shrugged and grabbed his hand as he pulled her on the creature. She could feel her breathing underneath her. It felt amazing.

He let out another cry and his Ikran stretched out its wings. Ngalu held onto Lo'ak's shoulders as they rose from the ground. 'Hold on tight.' He said, grabbing her arms and putting them around his waist.

He knew what he was doing. Ngalu's breathing picked up while her heart started beating very fast.

The view was breathtaking. She could see the Ilu splashing around, the people hunting and their Marui looked amazing from up here. The ocean was so blue, you could see everything through its waters. Lo'ak looked behind him to see that Ngalu was shining. She was in a trance and she wasn't ready to snap out of it yet. The wind was blowing through her hair and a smile was plastered on her face.

She gently let go of Lo'ak, stretching her arms out and leaning backwards. She let out a cry before she closed her eyes.

Lo'ak's heart was full. Filled with Ngalu and Ngalu only.

She caught him off guard as she held onto his waist again, wrapping her arms around him while leaning her head on his back. 'I'm so happy you came here.' She whispered into his ear.

His ear twitched as his heartbeat increased. 'I'm happy too, so happy I met you.'

Ngalu bit her lip, smiling hard. She squeezed him a little before closing her eyes again. She felt comfortable in his presence.

She couldn't believe that they were so close after all of their fighting.

One thing she knew, is that she was never going to let him go.