chapter 10: betrayal

Lo'ak scoffed. 'Really, Neteyam?' He rolled his eyes.

Neteyam brought his hands up. 'What?'

Lo'ak shook his head. He didn't understand why Neteyam acted like there wasn't anything wrong. He made it clear, multiple times, how he felt about this place. He felt like he was the only one who couldn't move on from leaving his home. He was holding a grudge, he knew, but it was so important to him. He was going to become a warrior of the Omatikaya clan, not the Metkayina clan. 'Did you forget about our home?' He yelled at him.

Neteyam rolled his head back while rolling his eyes at the same time. 'Come on Lo'ak, this is our home now.' He said back, already done with what he was trying to say.

Lo'ak looked disgusted, his eyes wide and lips slightly curled down. 'How could you say that? This place is nothing to me.'

'Why must you always make things so hard?' Neteyam spoke through gritted teeth while grabbing Lo'ak's shoulders.

'You knew I felt this way! You even agreed with me. But not anymore. Now you're suddenly having all kinds of fun with some fish faced freak!' He spat out.

Neteyam's eyes grew wider. He pointed at his brother, poking his finger in his chest. 'Never call her that again, you hear me.' He grew angry, Lo'ak had no right to call her that. He didn't know her one bit. He'd spoken to her what, like, twice?

'Whatever, bro. You've picked your side.' Lo'ak said defeated. Shaking his head while his ears lowered, he walked backwards. He felt betrayed by his own brother once again. He couldn't believe his ears. He called his Ilu and swam off into the deep end.

Neteyam's tense muscles relaxed when Lo'ak left. His head shot down, punching the nearest wooden pole he could find.

Ngalu had her arms full with wooden boxes and cloth bags, she was moving some stuff around to help her mother yet again.

'How are the Sully children doing?' Ronal asked her daughter as she stepped into the pod, dropping the stuff on the floor.

'They are making a lot of progress. They are doing well.' Ngalu told her, catching her breath a little from carrying all of that stuff she just put on the floor.

Ronal nodded slowly. 'Very well.'

Ngalu could feel that she wanted to say something about them, the Sully's. She wouldn't have asked about them in the first place. 'What is it?' She asked, sighing before biting the inside of her cheek.

Ronal looked surprised at the girl in front of her. 'What? I just wanted to know how they were doing. Are they settling in well?'

Ngalu couldn't believe her ears. Who is this woman and what did she do to her mother? 'They are, however Neytiri still misses her home a lot.' She slowly answered, trying to recognize some kind of form of hatred in her mothers voice. But she didn't find any.

'Poor Neytiri, I spoke to her earlier today. She seemed tired, I hope she has been sleeping well.' Ronal rubbed her temples. She was, in fact, annoyed the first day they met. But that was because it caught her by surprise. She didn't hate Neytiri or her family.

Ngalu couldn't believe what she'd just heard. Neytiri and her mother were getting on each others nerves the first day they met and now she suddenly cares? Her mother was never an evil woman but just like Neytiri, she didn't trust people easily. I guess they're quite alike in some way.

Kiri dangled her feet in the water, slightly dipping her toes in. She was in a bad mood. The fact that Aonung and those other boys called her a freak the other day, really got to her. She kept thinking about her connection to Eywa. Why was it her, why did Eywa choose Kiri? Why was she the freak and not somebody else? Why did she have to be different?

And then there was spider, he didn't leave her mind either. She thought about what he was doing, how he was doing. If he was okay or even alive.

She liked it here, the ocean called to her. The little fish coming up to her the second her skin hits the water. It was beautiful here too, it was like the forest but underwater. Kiri was the best diver out of all of the Sully kids and she was proud of that.

But she missed her mom, looking at her through the glass and watching those video recordings she played all the time. They had to leave her behind. Which probably hurt Kiri most.

She just had a talk with her dad about Eywa and how she could feel her. She felt a wave of relief wash over her. She finally told one of her parents about what she felt. It felt good to tell him. She's always had a great bond with her father but even better now that he actually knows what's been bugging her her whole life.

Ngalu noticed the girl sitting all alone with her thoughts. She hadn't spoken to Kiri in a while, simply because she didn't have the time. Between teaching the Sully's and helping her parents, she only had a little free time on her hands to take some rest and have some her time.

She walked up to Kiri, sitting next to her. She also put her feet in the water, feeling the warm essence hug her. 'I have not spoken to you in a while, how are you?' Ngalu turned to her.

Kiri seemed more cheerful than usual. 'I'm doing a lot better. I just had to get used to this new environment.'

Ngalu smiled. 'That is great!' She thought about something she could do with Kiri. She wanted to have some fun with her.

Then she remembered a promise she made to her earlier.