chaper 22: out of reach

Ngalu jumped off of Lo'ak, standing straight. Aonung stood in front of them, his eyes switching between the two. 'Nothing.' Lo'ak slowly got up. "Nothing", again.

'Yeah bro, we were just fishing.' He pointed at Tonowari and Neteyam. Both of them looking confused while throwing the net again, not looking at Lo'ak and Ngalu.

Aonung raised an eyebrow. 'Right.' He grabbed Ngalu's wrist and took her a little further away from Lo'ak so he couldn't hear them. But he could. 'What are you doing?'

'What?' Ngalu asked in a high pitched voice.

'You know "what". You know how much Tsireya likes him.'

Ngalu tried to laugh it off. 'Oh this?' She pointed between Lo'ak and her. 'We were just having fun. I'm with Neteyam, remember.'

Lo'ak's ears lowered right after she said the word "Neteyam". Right, she was with him. Here Lo'ak stood, thinking he actually had a chance with her. But then he remembered his brother. He saw how he was trying so hard with her father.

'Right, just please stop whatever you're playing at.' Aonung swiftly looked at Lo'ak and walked off again, leaving Ngalu alone with him.

She sighed. It's going to take a while to get used to seeing Tsireya and Lo'ak together and pretending not to care.

She made her way back to the lonely Lo'ak, dropping herself to the ground and sitting down. He looked confused but did the same as he thought she needed someone to talk to. 'Are you okay?' He asked gently.

Ngalu was surprised by his answer. She didn't think he cared. 'I don't know.' She said while grabbing her head with her hands. She heard a loud noise, it caught Lo'ak off guard. 'That's Beryl, my spirit sister.' She stood up, walking deeper into the water as she called her Ilu. She furrowed her brows as she slightly turned around. 'Do you want to meet her?' She asked him.

It stunned Lo'ak, she wanted him to meet her spirit sister. He slightly nodded. 'Yeah, sure.' Ngalu sat down on her Ilu, scooting forward a little to make room for Lo'ak. This is going to be hard, he thought. He gently sat down while placing his hand on her lower stomach.

As he touched her, she felt a warm and fuzzy feeling in her stomach. Her cheeks were heating up. Better get into the water quickly. 'Hold on.' She said, diving straight down into the water. She was going so fast, Lo'ak could feel himself slipping off. He didn't want to hurt her by his fingers digging into her skin so he wrapped both of his arms around her waist, aiming for more grip.

Ngalu's heart started beating so fast, it felt like she was having a heart attack. It felt good to have him hold her, it seemed natural.

Once they made it to Beryl, her eyes shot open. Beryl couldn't believe what she saw. They all swam up to the surface to meet her there. 'I felt you were in pain, but I assume that is not the case anymore.' Beryl said.

Stop it, he understands you. Ngalu signed quickly, making sure it was too fast for Lo'ak to understand.

He looked at her talking to her spirit sister. It was attractive, her sign language. Once Ngalu turned around to face Lo'ak, he quickly looked away to prentend he wasn't already looking at her.

Ngalu took a deep breath in. 'This is Lo'ak, he is also a part of the Sully family.' She told Byrel while also slowly signing it to her to make Lo'ak understand and secretly teach him while she did it.

Nice to meet you. He signed to Byrel. Ngalu had to bite her lip to prevent her from smiling. Byrel made a sound, spraying him with water. 'Hey!' He said while wiping the water off. 'Gross.'

Ngalu laughed at him, patting her head.

Lo'ak saw and shook his head while smirking. 'You two are just like each other.'

Ngalu got an idea. 'Let's go see Payakan!' She yelled, looking at Lo'ak. Byrel made a sound indicating she didn't approve of this idea. 'Don't worry, he is not what you think he is. That is exactly why you have to meet him.' She told Byrel while signing.

Lo'ak agreed and they held onto Byrel, telling her where to go.

They immediately saw the large Tulkun when they arrived at three brothers. They emerged from the water. 'Payakan!' Lo'ak yelled, swimming up to his brother. 'It's good to see you, bro.'

Payakan greeted Ngalu as she said hello too. Byrel stayed by her side, skeptical about this whole situation. Payakan asked who she was, Lo'ak told him that she was Ngalu's spirit sister.

Payakan and Byrel got to know each other a bit better. They talked the whole time while Lo'ak and Ngalu were laying down on a rock, not saying a word and listening in on the Tulkuns conversation. It was getting darker, the sun had set. It was silent. They could only hear the waves crash on the rock as well as Payakan and Byrel talking underwater.

The stars were out. Ngalu loved the stars. She could look at them for hours, reminding her of the water as it glistened, reflecting the sun. 'You know, my dad came from a star.' Lo'ak told her, making her turn her head to face him. 'That one right there.' He pointed at one, the brightest one. She swiftly looked at the star but faced him again, never taking her eyes off of him. He still looked up, the light shot diamonds from his eyes. The stars reflecting in them. It was a beautiful sight. Her hand longed for his, but she knew she couldn't grab his. He was with Tsireya and she was with Neteyam.

He felt her eyes on him, it was a comfortable feeling. If he looked at her, he would want to kiss her. Although every fiber in his body wants to, he can't. For the sake of his older brother.