chapter 38: awkward

'Shit.'

Ngalu and Lo'ak jumped away from each other, jolting their heads to the side to meet with a very embarrassed Tsireya. Her cheeks were bright red as she bolted away from the two.

Nice, moment ruined.

They both shot each other a quick look before walking after her. Once they reached the vines again, Lo'ak held them to the side as Ngalu made her way through them followed by Lo'ak. 'Gentleman. I like it.' She said as she looked him up and down over her shoulder. Her flirty look shot shivers up his spine, cursing at Tsireya in his head that she ruined the moment.

He could just feel that they were about to kiss. Finally, he thought to himself, he wanted to kiss those lips the moment he laid his eyes on them. But alas, Tsireya jumped in and just had to crush those dreams.

'Tsireya, wait up will you?' Ngalu fastened her pace to meet up with her. 'For Eywa's sake, could you stop?' Ngalu grabbed a hold of her wrist, seeing how flabbergasted she was as she turned around. It made Ngalu laugh at her.

'I wanted to tell you that dinner was ready.' Tsireya shifted her eyes between the both of them, still incredibly embarrassed by what she just witnessed. If she hadn't came in, they would've definitely kissed. And she was kind of mad at herself that she didn't listen to their conversation first, knowing that she had to back away if she heard them. But she was also extremely exited for the two of them. It seemed like Ngalu was finally getting a boyfriend! She was so going to tell Neteyam everything later. 'We're having dinner with the Sully's, by the way.' She hesitantly spoke.

Ngalu's heart sank. She knew she would have to face Ronal and Tonowari again but it didn't occur to her that would happen so soon. She was really happy the Sully's were there to comfort her and her adoptive parents probably made that decision for her to feel better.

Lo'ak and Ngalu shot a look at each other before nodding and agreeing to walk back with her. He wanted to see if she was okay with that and it seemed like she was.

She hadn't talked to Ronal and Tonowari for some time. It did look like she was content with it.

The walk back was very silent. Nobody really said anything. Tsireya felt like she walked in on something she wasn't supposed to see. Her heart was pounding with excitement and she just had to tell someone. Ngalu was very determined to keep an eye on her and make sure that she doesn't tell anyone. Especially not Neteyam. He can't keep his mouth shut.

They stepped into the pod as all eyes were on them again. Ronal and Tonowari stood up immediately by the sight of their daughters. Aonung sat beside them with an annoyed look on his face while Neteyam was smirking as Tsireya came back with the both of them. Tsireya couldn't wait to tell Neteyam everything as they already shared a look. Jake and Neytiri were busy with the food, trying to not make this uncomfortable for Ngalu. Lo'ak took a seat beside Neteyam and Kiri while Ngalu sat down next to Tsireya and the other side of Kiri.

Jake handed her her food with a genuine smile indicating that everything would be okay. She sighed as she felt her adoptive parents' eyes on her. 'I met my real parents.' She said, not looking at them.

'We know.' Tonowari started. 'How are they?' Ronal tried her best to stay quiet to not ruin the moment. She took a bite of her food, looking down.

'They are amazing. I will be visiting the spirit tree more often now.' Ngalu said without any trace of emotion in her voice.

Tsireya sighed. This wasn't like how she planned it to go. 'I understand.' Tonowari nodded. 'What did you do today?' He asked to change the subject.

Tsireya gulped, almost choking on her water as her face turned red. Lo'ak's eyes grew bigger and he tried to hide his face as Ngalu's eyes shot up at Tonowari and met his gaze for the first time. 'Just chilling.' Jake taught her that word.

Tonowari hummed, looking at Lo'ak and Tsireya while also taking a bite of his food.

Jake and Neytiri shoot a look at each other after looking at Ngalu and Lo'ak's reaction. 'So,' Jake started. 'I heard you have a boyfriend now Tsireya.' He tried to lighten the situation but it only got more awkward. Neytiri hit him in his chest before he rubbed the sore spot, looking at his mate with a confused expression.

Tsireya's lips formed a thin line. 'Yeah.' She said, looking around.

'Is he cute?' Tuk asked her, making everybody else laugh.

'Yeah, very.' Tsireya responded with a smile. 'It's time for Ngalu to get a boyfriend too, don't you think?' She smirked at Ngalu while looking at her though the corner of her eye. Ngalu rolled her eyes, making Tsireya smile.

'Yes, Teyam!' Tuk yelled, making Lo'ak cringe. The fact that his little sister wanted to see his girl with his brother made him throw up in his head.

Well, she wasn't technically his yet but he's working on it.

Neteyam shut her down quickly. 'No Tuk, Ngalu and I are just friends.'

She pouted as she raised her eyebrows. 'So she won't be my sister?'

'Yes she will but with Lo—' Neteyam was cut off by Lo'ak, standing up with his wooden bowl in his hand.

'Does anybody want some more?' He asked while putting another fish on the fire.

Ngalu looked around at everybody's confused faces. 'Yes, I would.' She stood up to hand him her bowl, their hands briefly grazing on accident in the process. They softly inhaled while looking into each others eyes, making the others look even more confused. When they realized what was happening, Ngalu and Lo'ak jumped away from each other as Ngalu sat back down and Lo'ak was focused on the fire in front of him again.

Aonung just sat in silence, not touching his food. It felt like he was losing her. Ngalu. It was like she loved the Sully's more than him. And her newfound interest in Lo'ak was also not helping. She was slowly slipping away. He felt it after his mother told everyone her secret. He scolded his mother for it, finding it terrible what she had done. But you can't turn back the time. What's done is done. He could tell she deeply regretted it. It was an impulse, he knew that. But Ngalu sought comfort in the Sully's and not in him. That hurt him the most.

It was like she could read his mind. Ngalu saw Aonung shifting uncomfortably as he only kept his eyes on the ground. She relaxed her eyebrows and stood up to walk over to him. He looked up at her with a surprised look on his face as she sat down next to him, putting her head on his shoulder. 'You are an amazing brother, Aonung. I'm so lucky to have you.'

A relieved sigh escaped his lips as he smiled, putting his head on top of hers.

Looks like he never lost her at all.