chapter 26: comfort

'So.' Neteyam said while sitting down on the sand next to Ngalu.

'I just wanted to tell you something. It is quite a big secret of mine and you have to promise on Eywa that you aren't going to tell anybody.' She said quickly, making her statement. This was a very serious topic and if anybody found out, they'd call her a fraud or worse.

He looked at her with a serious expression as well. 'I promise.'

She sighed. This was it. No going back. 'Tonowari and Ronal aren't my real parents.' She had a small deja vu. She had this conversation with Kiri the day after they arrived.

'Oh shit.' He said, quickly getting back to his serious look. 'Sorry, I didn't expect that.' He said.

His little slip up made Ngalu laugh. 'You're an idiot.'

Neteyam smiled at her. 'I'm happy you're still able to smile. But that must seem so lonely. You shouldn't feel alone though, you have family and they choose to take you in, right? I'm here too, remember. I am your family and my family is yours. They all love you so much.' He grabbed her hand.

Her gaze softened. The Sully's liked her. 'Thank you so much, Neteyam.' She pulled him into a hug and quickly wiped away a tear that formed in her eye. He let her go as he still looked serious. She tilted her head, looking confused. She didn't know why he looked like that. 'What's wrong?'

He cleared his throat, not knowing how to bring her this. 'I saw you with Lo'ak.' He said straight up.

She raised her eyebrows in shock. She didn't know he was there. He probably didn't like it, judging by the way he's looking at her. Her heart sank a little bit. 'Oh,' was the only thing she could get out. She didn't know what to say.

Neteyam grabbed her hand as Ngalu looked at it with a surprised expression on her face. Then she looked back at him as he watched her. 'It's okay, we can be friends. Actually, I think I like us more as friends.' He smiled.

Ngalu was surprised, she thought he really liked her. But she was struggling with her feelings right now and it would've been unfair to him. She smiled back at him with a genuine smile. 'I love you so much, Neteyam. In a platonic way!' She yelled while he laughed.

'I love you too, Ngalu.' He smirked slyly while Ngalu raised an eyebrow at his face. 'So, Lo'ak huh?' He said, teasing her.

'Okay, shut the fuck up.' She laughed at him. 'You know I hate him.' Then she stopped laughing, seeing his quite serious face. 'Wait, you're not joking?'

He shook his head.

She stood up from the warm sand she just sat on. 'No way in hell. I don't like Lo'ak.'

'Sure, Alu.' Keep telling yourself that, he thought.

'I am serious, Teyam. I do not like him! He's an immature baby.' She narrowed her eyes as she crossed her arms.

'Are you two done yet?' Lo'ak yelled from a few feet away. He was getting impatient. He wanted to know her secret.

'Yeah we are, Lo'ak. You can come!' She yelled back.

'Yeah we are, Lo'ak. You can come!' Neteyam mocked her before she stuck out her tongue at him.

Lo'ak came running in, panting as he finally got to the two of them. 'Teyam, leave.' He demanded while taking his place on the sand.

'Eager much.' Neteyam said while he stood up from his comfortable seat. He faced Ngalu. 'I'll talk to you later, okay.' She nodded and they gave each other a hug before he left. Lo'ak rolled his eyes yet again.

'Okay Lo'ak, listen. First of all, you can't tell anyone. And this is also a very hard topic for me. I don't need you to start calling me names and stuff because—'

She couldn't finish her sentence. Lo'ak already grabbed her hand. 'I would never.' He said, comforting her.

For some reason, it was harder to tell Lo'ak. They'd been through their fare share of things together and it was difficult to tell him.

She took a deep and shaky breath, thinking about how she's going to bring it to him. She looked at the sand then back at the sea. Then at the sky and later on she looked back at him. Here goes nothing. 'My parents aren't my real parents.' She said, nervous for his response.

When he didn't say anything, she continued to talk. 'They found me in the sea and took me in. I don't know who my real parents are and how I got here. But it's eating me up inside. I don't know who I am or who I'm supposed to be. I think about my parents every night, sometimes crying myself to sleep. It's never not been on my mind. Do Tonowari and Ronal love their real children more than me? I sometimes see the four of them together and wonder if they were happier that way. Do they regret taking me in because a few months later they found out they were going to have a girl? A girl that was theirs, their DNA and their blood. I wasn't any of those things. Where do I belong in the world? Would I have been better off if I were dead? Do I have habits that my parents had? I'm afraid that I don't have my own personality and that I don't deserve to call myself a person as there's way too much missing from my life. Fuck, I don't even know if my parents are alive.' She felt warm tears stream down her face. She laid all her shit bare. He knew everything now.

He was speechless. He looked numb. The only thing Ngalu wanted was for Lo'ak to say something. Anything. She didn't want him to feel differently about her now. 'Oh Ngalu.' He whispered while cupping her cheek with his hand and wiping away a few tears with his thumb. 'You are so special, you don't even know. You're an amazing person. You are funny, sweet, caring, selfless, beautiful and so much more. You always make me laugh or smile or both. You saved Kiri while we didn't even know you for that long. I also heard you comforted my mother, she couldn't stop talking about how sweet you are. My family is constantly talking about you and how amazing you are. You should be proud of the person you've become, with or without your real parents.'