IX

August 30th, 1993

“...you should’ve seen Percy’s face, it was hilarious! Speaking of which, he has been going on and on about how you think of him as a role model or some rubbish like that, is it because you ask him a few things about being a prefect? I really wish you hadn’t because he has become more insufferable now if possible.

Anyway, we’re already preparing for the journey back, seems like you won’t have to miss me for very much long. Mum is making the whole family go to Diagon Alley as soon as we return to get our supplies for school. I thought we could meet there if you haven’t already purchased yours, let me know.

Ps: Fred told me to tell you that he is very angry that you don’t write to him as often as you do to me, I told him that it is because I’m your favourite but he refuses to believe it, so he will pester you about that, just so you’re aware.

Cheers, George”

Cassie folded the piece of parchment and stuffed it back on the envelope after she was done reading it. She looked around to her room and plopped down on her bed. It had been three months of summer break and she had spent most of those days within these four walls. How depressing.

Before the school year finished she had made plans with George and Fred to spend some days at their house, since they lived rather far from each other. But after what had happened to Ginny, she decided it was best for them to spend some time alone as family, and she was more than happy when she got the news from George that they were going on a family trip to Egypt.  It also meant that now she had absolutely no plans for the summer. 

She had written numerous times to Olivia, but if she thought that the Weasleys lived far away from her, Olivia lived far far away. Not to mention that once she had been informed about her fight with Grace, she had decided to not pick sides and instead tried her best to make her friends talk to each other once again, so having that in mind, Cassie didn't want to spend that much time with her either, not if she was going to spend all that time trying to convince her to forgive Grace, when Grace hadn't even apologised in the first place.

So, she spent her days in her house, painting, baking, and reading new books that his dad had purchased over the year; her favourite activity however was going for a swim at a nearby river. It wasn't a very crowded space, contrary to what may appear because not many people trusted the river, the current was one of the primary reasons. But Cassie had been swimming in that body of water since she could remember, and now that her father didn't want to accompany her anymore, she was old enough to be able to go alone and enjoy the sun and the quietness of it.

Her second favourite activity was done at night and it was watching the stars, there was nothing that she enjoyed  more than laying down on the grass and watching the midnight sky. Of course she might be tempted to change both of those activities for a trip somewhere, but for now she was satisfied. 

Rising up from her bed, she decided to take advantage of her last days of holidays in her town and do her favourite activity for the last time. She got dressed, grabbed a pair of sunglasses and exited her room; she really shouldn't have. 

Waiting in the living room, talking lively with her father was Eden, her ‘cousin’. She wasn't really her cousin at all, her father was an only child, hence she didn't have any uncles or aunts. Eden, however, was the daughter of her father’s best friend, and because of that, everytime Cassie was in town, the girl didn't let her breathe.

She thought she had escaped her this year, because Eden and her dad, Paul, had been visiting family in Italy for the whole duration of the summer break, but it was evident that they had returned sooner.