XXI

She jumped on the bed so suddenly and abruptly that she almost found herself on the floor. George continued with his eyes closed so she quickly brushed his knee to alert him of the intrusion. When her eyes finally focused on the open door, she couldn't say she was surprised.

"Am I interrupting something?" Fred's tone plus the cheeky smile on his face was indication enough for Cassie to be sure that he had caught them just in time. Being mortified didn't even begin to cover how she was feeling right now. It was foolish, seeing as she was trying to get people to believe her relationship with George, but something about Fred finding them ahead of time, when she still hadn't mentally prepared for it, made her feel like she had been caught doing something scandalous.

"No!" her voice came out like a shrill and she had to fight the cringe. "I was just..." What was up with her today that she couldn't properly make a coherent sentence?

"She was checking my eye." George interceded for her and Fred's face just became more amused.

"Your eye, huh?"

"Yes, I had a...lash. I couldn't see." He said, pointing to his eye if it wasn't obvious already. Cassie wanted to be grateful because he was trying to help, but he was doing such a horrible job at it that she was on the verge of telling Fred the truth only to spare herself of any more of this.

Fred's smile only grew wider, "Of course, we've all been there, right?" He was looking straight to his brother, not even dignifying Cassie with a glance for which she was grateful. "Did she get it? Because I might be mistaken but I think the eye is a little bit...higher up." Her face lit on fire and she knew that he was doing it on purpose, he was surely relishing on her discomfort.

"She did!" George answered, giving his brother a certain type of look. "And she was on her way out now, weren't you Cassie?" He turned to her and she instantly knew why he had said that, he was giving her a way out.

"Yes! I was." she didn't waste any time in standing up from the bed and making her way out the door, when she closed it behind her, she heard Fred laughing.

"A lash? What was that all about?"

She didn't want to listen anymore, she trusted that George was capable enough to get himself out of that situation, and if he wasn't...it wasn't a big deal, she would just have to endure more of Fred's teasing. She wanted nothing more than to go back to her room and rest for a while, she collapsed on her bed the minute she crossed the door. Her mind had been working overtime the past hours and she wanted some peace, but when did she ever get what she wanted?

"I'm just telling you, I wouldn't go there, but if you don't want to take my advice..." She heard Grace's voice coming through the door before it opened.

"It's not that I don't appreciate your advice, it's just...we're different people—Oh! Hi Cassie." Olivia was the first to register there, laying on her bed. "This is perfect, I can get a second opinion now."

"About?" she asked and it took less than a second for both of her friends to dive for her bed, so naturally she had to sit up straight to let them have some room.

"Olivia wants to date Kenneth to make Fred jealous." Grace spoke first, rolling her eyes.

"No, I don't! It's not that," Her friend tried to defend herself. "I was just telling Grace that, this morning Kenneth asked me on a date because he said that he had a great time with me last night—"

"He had a great time and the bloke didn't even get a little kiss, that's having low standards..." Grace interrupted her and won herself a shove from Olivia that nearly made her fall from the bed.