XXIII

Cassie's POV

"Your hand is sweating." Cassie whispered, so only her partner could hear her, the far-away music helping her to be discreet.

"How do you know it's not your hand that is sweating?" George whispered back, accusingly and she had to give him an once over to see if he was being serious, which he was.

"Because I would know if my own hand was producing water, which it is not, and since I'm only holding your hand, it has to be it." She was running out of patience. They were standing just five steps away from the entrance to the Ravenclaw tower, mentally preparing to enter it. Why, you may ask yourself?

Well, just a day after Cassie had told her friends about her 'new relationship', word got around the school that the house of Ravenclaw was going to throw a party for New Year's eve and of course, she had no better idea than to make their first appearance as a couple there.

What had she been thinking?!

Of course, George had not made any fuss or attempts to discourage her of the idea— always such a good sport— but part of her wished he had. Maybe make a list of all the reasons why this was a terrible, horrible, very very bad idea. She wasn't ready to let the whole school know she was dating George, she wasn't ready for the speculation, the looks of wonder if it had started before Roger dumped her; but most of all, she wasn't ready to see him, looking radiant with his french-i fought a dragon-girlfriend.

George let go of her hand and she suddenly felt unprotected and exposed. She was getting ready to yell at him when she noticed he was only rubbing his hand on the fabric of his shirt, drying the sweat before holding her again. It was evident to her then, that the sweat was indeed hers since it had not gone anywhere, but she was grateful he decided not to say anything.

"Alright, are you ready?" he asked her, giving her hand a little squeeze. She looked down to her clothes, making sure that everything was perfectly in place before nodding.

Once inside, she was met by the all-too-familiar common room, but she reminded herself it was not supposed to be familiar anymore, she was a stranger now. George led her through the maze of dancing people to a more quiet zone, where there were different small tables with appetisers and drinks, he didn't waste time to fill his mouth with food whereas Cassie was too caught up with trying not to be seen, or even perceived to think about eating anything.

She was still a bit on edge, looking to all sides, trying not to make eye contact with anyone when a hand on her back made her jump up.

"Sorry! Didn't mean to scare you." She heard a male voice, turning around she was facing Kenneth, who actually looked apologetic. She forced a smile on her face.

"No, I'm sorry! I was just...taken by surprise."

"It's fine, I was just going to ask if you—." She noticed his eyes moving up and down on her. "I'm sorry but you—you look really hot." The comment came out of nowhere, making Cassie unable to emit a response. She looked down at her dress and suddenly felt self-conscious, she had always had a hard time when people were actively checking her out. It made her feel uncomfortable.

"She does, doesn't she?" George, who until that very moment had been with his back turned and his attention on the snacks, fully turned and sneaked his arm around Cassie's waist. Not satisfied with that, he placed a loud kiss on her cheek. She wanted to laugh at the obvious attempt he was making at a 'jealous boyfriend' act but she didn't. First, because it would totally be out of place, and second, because she was really grateful he had done that, the embarrassed expression on Kenneth's face was well worth it.

What had gotten into him? He was supposed to be Olivia's date, her friend had told her that just before leaving for the party.

"Uh-Uhm...yes, I mean no! I mean...do you know where Olivia is?"