XIV

August 23rd, 1994

It only took a day at the Burrow to know what George’s priorities were: making joke products. Not even ten minutes after her arrival, the twins were dragging her to their room to show her the product of all summer’s hard work. 

“There used to be more,” Fred explained, while trying to organise the impossible chaos of their room. “But mum found it and threw it all out.” There was resentment in his voice.

Cassie looked at the products pilling on George’s bed and then to each of the boys, wearing a confused expression. “What am I supposed to be looking at?”

“The future, Cass, our future. Here, grab this.” George never looked more excited than when he placed a wand on Cassie’s hand. “Move it around.” she did as he commanded and in a second, the wand had turned into a bird that quickly struggled to fly out of there. 

She took a step back, startled. “What the bloody hell was that?!”

“That, my friend, is one of our latest inventions. Trick wands, patents pending.” Fred explained with the biggest of smiles. She stared at both of them and then back to the pile on the bed, getting closer she found that more than half of the space was taken by some sort of candy. Naturally, she grabbed one and was quickly stopped by two hands. “I wouldn’t touch that.” George warned her.

“Why? What is it?” she asked, worried.

George threw the piece of toffee back on the pile. “I wouldn’t worry about that, just…don’t eat it.”

Later, the next day, she would be thankful of having listened to the boys, after hearing what the toffee had done to Harry's cousin. She was sitting on the steps of the stairs while the shouts of Mrs. Weasley, directed to her two identical sons, became more and more loud with each word. The younger children of the house had disappeared to their rooms and the oldest ones were busying themselves outside, so that left Cassie alone and wondering whether she should go up and wait for the twins in their room or stay, and continue to try and be supportive of them.

She also feared that, by being there, Mrs. Weasley would start yelling at her too. 

Thankfully, that was not the case because the scolding got cut short when the sound of a pot boiling over got the attention of Mrs. Weasley and she returned to the kitchen in a flash, giving the boys the perfect opportunity to leave the scene as quickly as possible, running up the stairs past Cassie. She didn't have the opportunity to run after them because as she was getting up, she got trapped in helping to set the table outside.

There were a lot of plates. Currently in The Burrow there were twelve people; Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, their oldest son- Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred and George, Ginny, Ron and Ron’s friends: Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. Oh, and her.

She didn't want to come in the first place, feeling all too much like an extra burden to the family, but her father had given her no choice. Upon hearing about the Quidditch World Cup, she instantly made it her goal to attend it, but because her dad didn't care about Quidditch, he was not an option to go with.

Later, Roger invited her to go with him and his family, he said that he had an extra ticket because his older brother wasn't going, and she entertained the idea of accepting his invitation. She didn't know Roger’s parents yet, but better late than never she thought. The problem was when her dad refused the invitation, claiming that he didn't know Roger’s parents and that he didn't like the idea of her daughter going with strangers.

It obviously led to a fight, but eventually she had to give in and accept the fact that the only way that she was ever going to attend was if she went with the Weasleys. So, here she was.