XI

October 2nd, 1993

"You did what?!" Grace raised her voice while trying to process what her friend had just told her. She looked over to Olivia to exchange a disbelieving look but the girl instead had a dreamy expression on her face.

"Technically, I didn't do anything. He's the one who kissed me." Cassie defended herself, even though she wasn't sure why she felt like she needed to do that. Say what you want about Roger but he was definitely a step up from Adrian.

"Right and you're—"

"And how was it?" Olivia interrupted her friend from what would soon be another fight if they weren't careful.

Cassie didn't answer right away. She took a few minutes to think, to put her thoughts in order. They were currently in their room, it was a saturday so no classes today and they had indulged themselves by waking up a little later than usual, which Cassie really shouldn't; with her new prefect responsibilities on top of practices with the Quidditch team, she was finding it hard to have a moment of peace. Right now, for example, Angelina and Alicia were taking advantage of the day and practising, she should've been with them. But this was more entertaining.

After a long silence, she finally opened her mouth again. "Good, I really don't know how to explain it. But he is a good kisser."

Grace snorted while Olivia broke out in a fit of giggles, they couldn't be more different from each other. "Didnt you hate him or something?" Grace asked her when Olivia finally quieted down.

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Hate is a strong word, I disliked him. I still do, I think."

Her two friends looked at her in the most disbelieving way until finally Olivia spoke. "Cassie, you know how much I love you, but lying to yourself? It's not the best look."

Cassie's entire face scrunched up, "Lying? I'm not lying to myself. I don't like him."

The disbelief grew stronger and she decided the only way to wipe that look from her friends' faces was to throw a couple of pillows at them.

This kept Cassie thinking all day. She went about her normal chores and even had time to finish some homework that was due on Tuesday, but the thought of possibly liking Roger never left her mind. She hated that, she considered herself to have a better understanding of her heart than her friends did, and she was sure that the kiss had not affected her at all. He was a prick, there were some redeeming qualities here and there but he wasn't a pleasure to have around. Not like George, or Fred.

But then again it was different, she'd known them for years now, and she couldn't possibly forget how annoying she found them in her first year at Hogwarts. It had taken a good while until she became friends with them, and only because she decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she ought to do the same with Roger.

Only time could tell.

Or maybe he was a lost cause.

Cassie was staring at the boy now, having a really hard time processing what he had just said. It was the night shift already and it hasn't even been ten minutes since they started patrolling the corridors that he said something stupid.

"Come again?" she asked, clearly thinking that she had not heard him properly.

"I said, that I know you're probably thinking of asking it right now, but I'm sorry to crush your dreams so soon" he placed both his hands on Cassie's shoulders, like she needed to be comforted, like there was some big bad news she was about to receive. "I don't want to be your boyfriend."

She couldn't hold it in, a cackle escaped her and she watched in between tears, Roger's confused face. He let go of her shoulders and waited until she stopped laughing, clearly not finding it amusing himself. She wiped out a few tears from her eyes and calmed her breathing before speaking, her chest still feeling agitated.