XXIV

George's POV

Her lips tasted like cherries.

That was the only thing in George's mind for the moment, his brain had completely shut off, gone on holidays. He was certain that it was due to the lipstick she was wearing, since the first time he had kissed her, it wasn't there. But he couldn't be one hundred percent sure, that time, the kiss had lasted so little time he didn't even have time to register it happening.

Well, he clearly made sure that didn't happen now. The truth was simple, he was a hypocrite, he spent days and days convincing himself he was only doing this to help Cassie, that he didn't want to get involved because it would only result in more pain for him.

'He didn't want to kiss her because he knew that once he did it, everything would definitely change' what a load of bollocks! Of course he was dying to kiss her, he liked her...a lot. Not kissing her would've been the smart choice— not agreeing to all this madness would've been the smartest choice, but since when was he considered smart?

He wasn't smart. He was reckless and impulsive and maybe a little bit emotional so could you really blame him for the way he was acting? Maybe...but that's besides the point. The point was...was it possible that Cassie had different flavoured lipsticks?—Wait no! That was not—.

"Did my breath smell or something?" Her voice brought him back to reality, he lifted his gaze to find her still standing in front of him, but much further away than before, with her cheeks still slightly pink and a weird expression on her face. She looked amused, and her tone was even cheeky but...there was something off.

No, maybe it was just his imagination. She was just trying to break the tension a bit after what...had just happened between them. But she looked normal, besides the blush she didn't look affected at all.

Of course she is not, what did you think? That she was magically going to fall in love with you after a lousy kiss?

Right. They were just faking it. Well, at least one of them was.

"I mean...I didn't want to bring it up but..." he made a gesture pretending he was fainting from the smell and followed it with a laugh. That was good, jokes were good, they were natural to him and nobody expected him to take things seriously anyway. But she did not laugh, why didn't she laugh?

"I'm a little tired, do you mind if we go?" The change of topic took him by surprise, but he brushed it off, she did look tired now that he was paying closer attention.

"Uhm no, no, let's go." They started walking towards the entrance and after almost five minutes they were finally out of the Ravenclaw common room and heading towards their own. The walk back was silent at first, he stole some glances towards Cassie and noticed she looked crestfallen. Was it because of him? Had he done something to upset her? Or was it because of that prick of Davies?

Even remembering that, made his blood boil. What was he even doing there, talking to her? Implying to him that–he couldn't even think about it or else he was going to walk back there and finish what he couldn't do the other day. What gave him the right? George knew Roger had been dumped by Fleur so he needed to be more alert, but he didn't expect him to try and make a move so soon. That one didn't have any shame.

He wanted to ask her how she was feeling, if he had done something to upset her but, was it his place to do that? Well...he was her boyfriend...even if it was a fake title.

"So..." he started, making Cassie turn her face in his direction. He was trying to go for a carefree demeanour, with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, but he had a feeling his face was totally betraying him. "What did Davies want?"