XXII

George's POV

Fred had been staring at him, with an all-knowing grin, for almost ten minutes now. He couldn't take it any more. "Spill it. I know you're dying to make a comment about it." George spoke while trying to decide whether to put on a dark blue jumper or a red one, he wondered which one Cassie would like more and he had to fight the impulse to slap himself. He was pathetic.

"I am not–" Fred began before a look from George cut him off, and his face lit up. "Alright, you got me..." George mentally prepared for whatever could come out of his brother's mouth when another voice interrupted the conversation.

"Did you two shag?" Lee's shout came from the other side of the room, while he was going through Kenneth's belongings, George didn't want to know why. He turned around, looking scandalised.

"What? No!" He fought to keep his tone in check but the heat on his face had already betrayed him. He dropped the red jumper back on the bed and took his time putting on the blue one, trying to hide his face for as long as he could.

"Relax! I just asked because Fred came running here saying that you two had gotten together and...well, you know how things are."

"Of course," George said, shaking his head. "And here I thought that you hadn't said anything when I came in here and I wasn't received with a marching band."

"Oh! there's still time for that! If you want–."

"No!" George shouted, Fred's laughter came not much after.

"Oh c'mon! You've had a crush on Cassie since...I don't even know and–Oh!" Fred stopped talking when he noticed George's murderous glare. "Sorry..."

"Wait!" came Lee's high pitched voice, "You fancy Cassie? For like...a while?"

Great.

George took a big breath. "Yes." he said through gritted teeth, there was nothing he hated more than more people finding out about this. It made him feel very much exposed.

"Bloody hell, and here I thought that you two were just friends—"

"We are!"

"Not anymore, brother." Fred placed his arm around George's shoulders and gave him a shake. "You're finally out of the friendzone!" Fred looked over to Lee and they exchanged knowing looks, George didn't like the look of this. "We need to celebrate!"

George quickly shoved Fred aside. "No, no, we are not going to do that."

Fred's face fell instantly, "Why not?"

"Because I say so, okay?"

"Whatever, wait until mum finds out, then you're going to wish you had celebrated with me." George turned his head so quickly that he almost felt his neck snap.

"Mum? Why would– Why would she find out?" His tone was nervous, with everything going on he had never even thought about the possibility of his family outside of Hogwarts finding out about this. This was bad, he didn't want to lie to his parents about this.

Fred frowned with a smile on his face. "Why wouldn't she? Do you really think that telling mum is not the first thing that Ginny is going to do when she finds out?"

George tried to play it off, acting like it didn't really matter to him. "Well, It's not that important, I wouldn't bother in—"

"Not that important?! Lee, back me up on this!"

"It's true, mums live for this kind of shit." their friend said without minding them too much, he had returned to his previous activity, making a mess of Kenneth's things.