XIII

“Roger!” She was trying to catch up to him. “C’mon, are you really going to keep ignoring me?” she had been at this for a while now, since she exited the Fat Lady portrait and saw him walk past her. 

The night before, she didn't have a chance to explain the situation, something that could’ve been easily solved in a matter of seconds. But no, he simply stated that he was going to have to take five points from Gryffindor and then took off, leaving both of them standing there. It certainly didn’t make it any less awkward that his partner, a girl from Hufflepuff, had been left behind too.

“I’m running late to my Charms class.” he said, without even slowing down for a minute. 

“I know, we take that one together” she reminded him. “Can you slow down, you're being silly!” she shouted, which caused a lot of people to stare at them. Great.

He stopped all of a sudden and she was taken by surprise, which resulted in a collision onto his back. “Alright,” he grabbed her hand, “Let's talk.” yanking on her hand, he guided her to the nearest courtyard and made her sit on one of the benches while he stood. 

An uncomfortable silence followed.

He was just looking expectantly at her, which may have given her a clue that he expected her to do the talking. Alright.

"Well, let me just start by saying that your behaviour has been anything but mature, but I will let it slide for now. Then–" he didn't let her continue.

"My behaviour? I wasn't the one running around with a half naked bloke!" he shouted. 

"Okay, I see where you're coming from, but let me explain the situation." She tried to cool the conversation and then started retelling the events that happened last night, she didn't leave out any detail–well, maybe some– and by the time she was done with the story, she noticed a change in Roger's demeanour.

"It still doesn't explain why he went back." He pointed out. She cursed internally, one of the details that she had left out was the reason why George had returned last night, simply because she couldn't tell her boyfriend, the most responsible prefect there was, that her best friend was planning on playing a prank on the Slytherin Quidditch team. She wouldn't rat him out like that.

"I don't know, he told me that he forgot something, why does it matter?" she stood up then, and tried to put her arms around Roger's but he dodged her. "What now?"

He shook his head. "I don't trust him." 

Her eyebrows knitted together. "Who? George?" he nodded. "Why wouldn't you trust him? And most importantly, what does that have to do with this?"

He looked straight into her eyes then, a spark of incredulousness and mockery on them. "Are you telling me, you really don't see it?" he questioned her.

"What?"

"C'mon, you're a smart girl." he said, and when she still looked puzzled, he continued. "He likes you." his tone filled with poison.

Her reaction time was awful because she was still processing his words, but she didn't take much longer to let out a laugh. When she noticed that he wasn't joining her but instead still looked serious, she stopped. "You're being serious?" he nodded. "How can you think that?"

Sure, she had a better relationship with George than with Fred, she had always known that, but still it was only a friendship. She liked to believe that if George had ever harboured those types of feelings, he would've let her know. 

"I don't just think it, Cass, I know it. I am a man, I know how we behave when we like someone." he continued in his posture and she was starting to get annoyed.