You're safe

It was international break so club training had been put on hold. Evie was still playing for England U17s and they didn't have a camp so she needed to find something to do.

"I might go down and see some friends in Southampton," Evie said when Leah asked what she'd be doing while she was away.

"That sounds like a good idea," Leah said, happy that she wouldn't be at home alone.

It was Wednesday morning when Evie boarded the train to take her back. She was a bit apprehensive but she wouldn't see anyone she didn't want to so it was okay.

Her friend Ava, a former academy buddy and member of the England U17s, had said there was room for her and Evie couldn't wait. Ava had always been a good friend and even though they texted regularly, they hadn't seen each other in months.

"E!" Ava squealed as she ran and embraced her friend.

"Oh my God I have missed you so much," Evie said.

"Me too. It hasn't been the same without you."

The young pair chatted as they walked the short way to Ava's house. It looked exactly the same as Evie remembered and the normality made Evie feel comfortable.

They chatted for hours and hours. Their conversation ranged from relationships, to music, to TV, to football, to people from school. It felt nice to just be 16. The past few months had been amazing but not what you'd expect from a teenager's life.

The next evening the two of them waved goodbye to Ava's mum before heading down to the local park. It was a regular hangout spot for the teenagers of Southampton.

Ava had arranged for a group of Evie's old teammates and friends to meet up and hang out for the evening. Of course there was alcohol involved and even though Evie knew Jonas wouldn't be too happy if he knew what she was up to, you were only a teenager once after all.

"I've missed this," Evie said as she took a sip from the can of cider that was in her hand.

"We've missed you," Sapphire told her as she also took a sip of drink.

The sky grew darker and they all sat chatting, music blaring from a speaker.

It got even later and Ava decided they should probably head back. The pair giggled as they walked, gripping onto each other as they were both pretty wobbly on their feet.

There were a few unapproving looks from neighbours but the pair didn't care. They were happy.

***

A fun week came to an end and after saying goodbye, Evie headed to the station. Ava had training and was disappointed that she couldn't wave her off.

"Thank you so much for a good week," Evie said as she hugged her friend.

"No thank you so much for coming. I've missed you E."

"I'll see you in November at England camp yeah?"

"Yeah. Can't wait."

Evie was busy walking down the street when she spotted someone she really didn't want to see. She thought about going back the way she came but if she did that, she'd miss her train.

With her head very much down, she carried on forwards and was relieved when the person just carried past. It was a short lived relief however.

"You think you're so much better than us, don't you?"

Evie froze.

"I asked you a question," the person said as they grabbed Evie's ponytail and spun her around.