I'm alright for god's sake

Leah was still flopped in bed, this time awake.

"You alright kiddo?" she asked as the youngster entered her room. Evie plonked herself down on the end of her bed.

"Yep," she said, flopping backwards in exhaustion.

"Tough day?"

"Just tiring that's all. Anyway what can I get you for dinner?" Evie replied, sitting back up. She needed to look after her sick house mate.

"I'm alright I can do it," Leah said as she tried to prop herself up. An evil glare from Evie made her stop moving.

"Get back in bed. I'll do it."

Leah laughed at her seriousness but didn't argue.

Half an hour later, she returned with two plates of chicken caesar salad. She sat on the end of Leah's bed and the pair chatted away. Evie filled her in with all the gossip from the day and they laughed and laughed for hours.

***

"What on earth have you get there?" Leah asked as Evie walked in with a huge box in her arms and a massive smile on her face.

"Marble run," she responded setting it down with a large crash.

"Why on earth have you bought a marble run?" asked Leah with an exasperated look on her face.

"For when Ella comes over."

Leah raised her eyebrows.

"She's 1. You can't trust toddlers with marbles," she said, unpicking her argument instantly.

"Well I'll be around her," Evie argued.

"What if she shoves it in too quickly for you to stop her?"

"Oh my god let me enjoy my marble run!"

"Knew you bought it for yourself," Leah laughed.

"Whatever," the youngster said, pouring the contents out of the box and beginning to build herself a run.

"Oh for gods sake," Evie groaned as her run once again fell over.

"Do you need some help?" Leah asked. She really wanted to join in and this was a perfect opportunity.

"Yes please," Evie responded. Leah moved onto the floor to sit next to her and began helping to build up the tower stronger.

The two of them then spent the next two hours building and designing mazes, having way too much fun with a toy aimed at children.

***

It was the 1st of May. Match day against Aston Villa. They'd played the previous week and won against Everton. Evie had assisted two of the three goals, an action which brought even more hype to her name.

The weather was beautiful and Mrs Cooper had made the journey up to watch.

Evie had been playing exceptionally well and the media were beginning to talk about her more and more. It was a bit overwhelming and after another request for an interview, she couldn't contain it anymore and had broken down in Leah's arms.

"Baby it's alright," she whispered, her chin on top of the youngster's head. She just snuffled in response, knowing that this was only a part of the job.

"Sorry," she said quietly after a little while.

"Don't be sorry. Being talked about is scary. I understand that. Play football for you. Forget about everyone else."

Those words had stuck with her and today she was performing even harder than the previous few weeks. She was running rings around them in the warmup and as annoying as it was getting, she was too lovable to care too deeply.