I don't believe in risks

Sarina had returned back to camp. She was trying to put on a brave face but all of them could tell how upset she was.

Evie was heading up to bed one evening when she spotted Sarina sat on one of the sofas on the landing. She was looking forward. Her stare was blank and cold, her thoughts clearly someplace else.

It was obvious she needed someone and Evie walked over to sit next to her. Sarina was always so lovely to her and it was about time she repaid the favour.

"You alright?" Evie asked as she sat down. Sarina seemed to be brought out of her trance and nodded unconvincingly.

They sat in silence, Evie debating what to say next.

"We're all here for you, you know? All of us care about you and I know you're our boss but you mean so much more than that."

Sarina then did something that took Evie slightly a back. It was only normal but the thought of seeing Sarina cry had never even crossed Evie's mind.

The youngster turned and wrapped her arms around her, giving her a reassuring squeeze.

"Sorry," Sarina apologised, lifting her hand and wiping her tears away.

"Don't apologise. It's okay to be sad. Grieving's normal."

Evie stayed with her arms wrapped around her, giving her support and comfort as a way of helping.

"You're a very good kid Evie," Sarina said, patting her back indicating that it was alright.

Evie pulled away and stood up. Sarina wanted to be on her own and that was okay.

"Night," the youngster said as she left.

"Night. And thank you. I needed that," Sarina said with a little smile.

***

It was time for the final friendly before the euros. This was a chance for the players to prove themselves. They were in Switzerland and Evie was loving how pretty it was.

They'd been for a pre match walk, all of them nattering away. Evie went along with Tooney and Jill and she spent so much time laughing her ribs were beginning to physically ache.

As they all lined up in the tunnel, a sudden pang of nerves built up in Evie's chest. Why was that happening now?

She leant with her hands on the wall, trying to slow her breathing down.

"Kiddo you good?" Fran asked as she placed a calming hand on her back.

"Y-yeah," Evie croaked out.

"You sure?"

"Mhm."

Most people would've left it at that but Fran stayed. She didn't say anything; she just rubbed her back soothingly, giving her time to bring everything under control.

It took some deep breaths but soon enough she was calm and it was time for them to enter the pitch.

"Thank you," Evie said to Fran as they walked out.

The game kicked off and straight away, their football was flowing well. They picked out good passes and went well as a unit.

Quarter of an hour in and they'd already had a lot of chances. The Swiss goalie was playing very well and it was going to take something good to get it passed her.

Their defence was beginning to get frustrated and one of them did a horrible challenge on Less. Evie was straight in. Off the pitch she was lovely but mess with her teammates and you'd be sorry.