You are so cheeky

Two days later and it was time to say goodbye. Evie had conflicted feelings. She loved camp and the girls were amazing but she also couldn't wait to get home to Leah.

They met in the car park of SGP and embraced tightly.

"Our kiddo the superstar," Leah said, her usual cheerful grin on her face.

The car journey home was full of laughter, chatting and singing. Even when they got stuck in a traffic jam their moods couldn't be lowered.

"I've never had a good track record with it. I don't think I'll ever live down the time I hit Paul with a golf club. He got a bruise. Terrible experience. Wouldn't recommend," Evie said, telling the story of their golf trip.

"He got a bruise!?" Leah laughed. They were stuck behind hundreds of cars that didn't seem to be moving but that didn't bother them.

Eventually they got home and set about making some dinner. They had the music on high and as well as cooking they were having their own little dance party, holding hands and bouncing around.

Neither of them were terrible singers and they managed to coordinate themselves into a harmony, much to their amusement.

Dinner took way longer than it should've as they kept dancing and forgetting what they were meant to be doing.

"Right where's the onion?" Leah asked.

"Shit. I knew I was meant to be doing something," Evie said, abandoning her air guitar solo and running to chop it up.

***

"Embarrassing me. Imagine how I look to the other parents. You're going round to apologise tomorrow," Evie's mum said as she landed smack after smack on her daughters' backside.

"But I'm not sorry!" she said indignantly.

"Well you bloody well will be when I'm done with you! Fighting. I mean for crying out loud!"

"He said girls can't play football and I should run home and play with my barbies."

"Maybe he's right!" her mum shouted as she landed a particularly hard smack and Evie yelped with the pain.

"Right get your nose in that corner and if I see it leave, I'll make sure you aren't able to play football for a week."

Evie hesitated before her mum grabbed her ear and pulled her to the corner of the living room. She shoved her head so it was touching the wall.

"Don't leave until I say so."

Evie stood glumly. Standing still was so boring. And the boy deserved to be hurt anyway. She chuckled slightly as she remembered the look on his face as she'd hit him on the shoulder.

"Heyyy Evie," Jamie's voice said. He had a cheeky tone and she knew this would mean nothing good. He was going to get her in even more trouble.

"Go away," she said.

"Why?"

"Stop acting like a two-year-old. You're 12. Grow up."

Wrong move. Now he was determined to get her in trouble.

He grabbed a hold of her arm and tried to pull her away.

"Stop Jamie!" she said struggling to keep her face against the wall. He pulled and pulled and she knew it wouldn't be long. Quickly checking that her mum wasn't insight, she turned around and kicked her brother, loosening his grip and sending him to the floor.