Baby please wake up

Leah spotted her go down and sprinted over. She forgot the attack and just ran to her friend. She beckoned for the medics to come over, she knew it must be serious.

The ball had been kicked out of play and all the Arsenal players were gathering around, worried for their friend.

"Come on kiddo," Leah begged, holding her hand as the medics tried to figure out what was wrong. During the fall, Evie had managed to knock her thigh on the floor and open up the cuts from the other day. Her white shorts were stuck to her leg, the blood very obvious.

The players were stood in a circle, not knowing what was going on or how they could help. Evie and Leah were at the centre, Leah refusing to leave her side.

"Baby please wake up," she said under her breath, willing for her to be okay. The medics called for a stretcher. She was breathing okay but still unconscious so the best bet was to get her to hospital.

Leah assisted them with lifting her onto the stretcher, anything to be a bit of help. She was so scared, wondering what was wrong and why she hadn't noticed.

They took her towards the tunnel, Leah right by the side, holding her hand. When they got off the pitch, Leah finally had to let go and return to the game. It was agonising playing those last few minutes, not knowing what was going on.

As soon as the whistle went, all the Arsenal players ran from the pitch. They didn't do their usual debrief or go around clapping the fans.

Leah was frantically shoving things in her bag and grabbing anything Evie might need. She'd been taken to the nearest hospital and they still didn't know what was up.

"I'm going," Leah said to the rest of them, ready to run out the door.

"We're coming too," Katie said, Beth, Jen and Lotte all by her side. They pushed through the members of the press and all piled into Leah's car.

As they pulled out, they were being blocked by different journalists, desperate to know what was going on.

"Move!" Katie yelled out the window. They did so and then they were off, driving in a tense silence.

***

"Wh-what's happened? Where am I?" Evie asked as she opened her eyes. She spotted Leah by her side. She had tear tracks running down her cheeks.

"Oh kiddo," she sighed with relief when she was awake. She pulled her into her arms, pleased that she was finally conscious. Evie relaxed instantly, the pain in her body still there.

Doctors and nurses came in and after lots of questions and tests, a tray of food was brought in.

"You need to build up strength," the nurse told her kindly before leaving the room.

"I'm sorry," Evie said wearily. She felt like she'd let Leah down. She'd tried so hard to get her to eat properly and she chucked it all away.

Leah ignored her and moved to pick up the piece of toast. She lifted it to the little girl's mouth and Evie reluctantly took a bite. They did this again and again until it was all gone.

"I'm proud of you," Leah said. They worked their way through everything on the tray, Leah supporting the whole way through. Only one person was allowed in at time so the other four were outside. They'd all agreed who should go in for the main difficult bit. It was an easy decision.

Once everything was gone, Evie began to cry.

"Hey, you're okay. You're going to get better. They'll help you," Leah comforted, bringing her into her arms and squeezing gently. Evie just let everything out.