9

It had been a couple of weeks since the Sullys had first arrived on the islands and Tonowari had agreed with Jake that it was time for Neteyam and Eyrina to learn the way the metkayina became warriors. Already being fully fledged warriors in the omaticayas way Tonowari was adament they must also complete the metkayina rites of passage to become warriors.

Waking up at dawn, the sky filled with the warmest colours of pinks and oranges as the sun slowly made its way up the horizon Neteyam and Eyrina followed their father and the chief toward the training area.

It was a far part of the beach surrounded by a rocky wall. The area was big enough to contain the entire clan if it needed to and Eyrina watched as many warriors practiced with spears of different sizes and shapes.

Tonowari stood in front of the two and told them to show their skill to him by sparring one another. Neteyam and Eyrina both got into position taking a deep breathe before preparing to spar.

Eyrina was very good at hand to hand combat, picking it up almost immediately when her father had taught them both as children whilst neteyam was more talented with a bow. Eyrina was good with her bow of course but Neteyam could hit even the smallest of targets with ease.

The two sparred well, seeming to impress the olo'ektan as he watched the two overpower one another. It eventually ended when Eyrina managed to overpower Neteyam and held him down, wrapping her legs around his so he could kick her off.

"impressive, both of you i will pair you with a warrior who I think will best match your skill" Tonowari continued making both the teenagers face brighten with a mixture of pride and excitement to finally be training again. Tonowari called forward a boy named Hofni and Aonung and paired Neteyam with Hofni and Eyrina With Aonung.

Eyrina became slightly flustered at her pairing. She didn't know if she'd be able to perform to the best of her ability with him being the one trying to get on top of her. She erased her mind and took a deep breathe in as she walked towards the boy who had an impressed look on his face.

"didn't know you were capable of all that" he teased playfully as he guided her towards the weapon rack. "well I guess I'm full of surprises then" the girl smiled as she took in her surroundings. "these are our weapons you must get used to them if you want to be useful during a hunt." the boy stated picking up his own and passing her one from the rack. Eyrina had to admit she was relieved to see they weren't going to be sparring today but a tiny part of her was slightly disappointed, not that she'd ever admit that though.

His spear was considerably larger than hers and had intricate carvings from the base to the sharpened end. She watched as he handled his spear like it was sacred and she had to admire how well looked after it was he clearly had alot of love for his spear much like she did for her bow.

He took her over to the target practice's "now watch and learn you'll be happy to know you're learning from the best" he boasted as he raised the spike using his other hand to guide his aim. His left leg went back and after taking a deep breathe he released the weapon and it flew through the air gracefully until it hit the target perfectly in the middle with a thud. Eyrina looked quite awestruck as she admired his work. He stepped back, feeling cocky as he saw her expression.

"not bad fish lips" she grinned at him as he walked over to take his spear out the target so she could try. "you are easily impressed it makes me wonder how else you can be easily pleased" he expressed shamelessly giving her a smug grin. Warmth over took her at hearing his words and her ears raised slightly as did her tail which then began to sway slightly as she processed what he had just implied.

Her grin disappeared and she hissed quietly as she looked at the ground. She then heard a soft grunt as he pulled the spear out of the wooden target causing her mind to go into a frenzy and her face to get ever so slightly pinker.

"arrogance isn't a good look on you" she blurted trying to do anything to distract herself from the thoughts her mind was firing at her. "didn't know you were so uptight forest girl" he grinned still smug as ever as he went to stand beside her, signalling for her to try throwing the training spear she had been given.

She took in a deep breathe trying to ignore the warmth beside her as he stood closely observing her technique. Just as she was about to throw the spear he grabbed her arm "put it more to the side and pull it further back that way you'll get more power in your throw" the warmth became suffocating as his hand left jolts of electricity moving up her arm. Once he gave her a nod she threw the spear and although it wasn't nearly as perfect as the boys previous bullseye she at least managed to hit the target.

"I did it!" she exclaimed smiling as she looked at her victory. The boy smiled himself rolling his eyes at her excitement of such an easy hit. He looked her up and down as she faced away from him to retrieve her spear. Now it was his turn to become flustered as he watched her try pull the spear out soft breathes coming out as she did so.

He continued showing her how to make the spear work for her explaining how to hold the spear from its balance point, allowing her to hold it without it wavering from side to side. He then explained how her thumb must extend along the bottom to allow her better grip. He was surprisingly good at teaching this and was clearly passionate about his spear. Eyrina found it a little cute as she watched him explain to her all the intricate ways to hold the spear to make it work for her, his ears and tailed perked up more than usual.