Chapter 3

Tanjiro's POV

I skipped to class, unsure of why I was so happy for the rest of the day. I felt kinda nervous at the thought of Muichiro coming over, but I really wanted to get to know him more, he seemed like a really nice person. The rest of the day went by slowly, it was like most days, conversing with Zenitsu and Inosuke, having some trouble in math, and then patiently waiting for the bell to ring. I watched the time on the teachers presentation board. 2:29... one more minute. The bell ring a few seconds later, sending my classmates out of their seats in unison. It looked really funny. It was like they were in the army. Immediately, they were stuffing their bags like this was a bank robbery. I guess it kinda made sense, because it was a Friday.

After stopping by my locker, I left the school building, and walked over to the tree that was at the bottom of the main stairs, to the left. I leaned against the bark, soaking in the chill of a December afternoon. A saw Muichiro coming down the steps and waved at him, kinda ushering him to come over. He did and we started walking over to my house. We walked in silence. It was kinda awkward, so I decided to start a conversation.

"How was your day?"

"It was okay. How about yours?" He replied, glancing up at me.

"It was good." I said, before looking at the sky. This morning it was grey, but it seemed that the weather had taken a turn for the better. The sun was shining brightly, it's rays bouncing off of the snow. I wanted to build a snowman with Muichiro out of it. I we could each donate a glove to the snowman's stick hands. That would be fun. I'll ask him after we finish working. I thought to myself, before walking into a crosswalk traffic light pole.

Muichiro turned to me, and looked like he was trying really hard not to laugh. It was pretty painful though, so I appreciated the fact the he remained quiet. I winced and stepped back, rubbing my forehead with the palm of my gloved hand.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice wavering ever so slightly. I can't blame him, this is the type of thing you would find on a vine compilation.

"I'm fine," I groaned, pinching my nose bridge. He reached down into a pile of fresh snow, and picked up a chunk, handing it to me.

"It's like an ice pack." He said, as I reached out for it. I smiled at him gratefully.

"Thank you... heh." I said before pressing the frost against my skin. Eventually it felt numb, which kinda helped, actually. At least I wouldn't feel the aching anymore. "Let's keep walking." I decided, grabbing his hand and pulling him along, but making sure to check the cross walk twice in both directions before crossing. I should make sure Muichiro is safe! I decide, marching forward, and not looking back. Muichiro's hand was cold, so I gripped it a a little tighter, hoping I could warm it up.

Muichiro's POV

I felt bad for almost laughing. That's 3rd grade sort of humor. I stared at Tanjiro's hand holding mine, and it felt warm. It felt warm like the mug of hot cocoa you would drink on the morning of a snow day. The trees above us on the sidewalk were dripping with ice, appearing to be coated in crystal. Winter is my favorite season. I like going outside without a coat on in ridiculous temperatures. On runs, climbing trees, pacing in circles in my back yard... it was really refreshing for me to feel the cold biting my skin. I turned to look at him. He had this really awesome looking scar on his forehead. I kinda wanted to touch it.

"Can I touch your scar?" I blurted on impulse. What the fuck was that? Why would I say that?! I cringed right away, turning my gaze from him, not feeling able to look him in the eyes. Kmnkmnkmnkmnkmnkmnkmnkmnkmnkmn. He stopped walking and turned to me, replacing his surprised expression with a reassuring one.