Chapter 23

Muichiro's POV 

I made sure to wear a hoodie to school. Kept the hood on. I realize that I probably looked more like the quiet kid than ever, but we must make sacrifices. 

Like planned, Tanjiro met up with me at my locker and we hid in a bathroom stall while he tried his best to put what I'm guessing was concealer on my neck. "I guess toilet paper is gonna have to do to 'apply' this thing..." Tanjiro murmured, dabbing me with the tissue. I remained silent. A guy seemed to have walked in, but my reaction quickly switched when the shoes I saw from under the stall door were dirty white air forces. 

"Tanjiro... is this the correct bathroom?" I whisper as softly as I can, hoping that the potential girl on the other side couldn't hear. Tanjiro followed my gaze and widened his eyes at the sight of several other people walking in. Pink converse, another pair of dirty white air forces, and holographic and white adidas 'superstar's.

"I have to say, I am not getting that assignment done by 4th period! How does Ms. Jiafei expect us to complete that?" A quite feminine voice said. One of the Air Force people. Panic sank in. How will we get out? 

"Ugh, I don't know... Willow, do you have the notes?" Said the adidas girl.

"I think so! I'll give them to you during lunch." Pink converse replied. This is a dream, a nightmare. I tried to calm myself, but there wasn't much I could do. We are in the girls bathroom. Tanjiro met my eyes, his expression seeming to be as stressed out as probably mine was.

To our relief, they left, but I took off my hoodie and handed it to Tanjiro so he could hide himself in case there were any people in the hallway when he left. I grabbed a hair the from my wrist, handing it to Tanjiro so he could braid my hair. I quickly slapped my ((facial))cheeks, trying to make them as red as possible. "Okay.. let's go." I whispered, and me and Tanjiro ever so slowly creeped out of the girls bathroom. 

"Who's that black-haired girl?" A boy asked, gesturing towards me. I took Tanjiro's hand and started to speed walk. If anyone approached me, we would surely be busted. "She's cute." I started to sprint. 

"W-we're gonna be late! Let's go... Taylor!" I said in a high pitched voice, trying to make my sprinting look a little less random. Tanjiro snorted, probably amused by my 'girl' voice. We slowed once we got close to the classrooms, and said our goodbyes before entering them. Tanjiro gave me my hoodie back. 

I forgot about the braid, which got quite the few comments when I entered home room. Even Alum noticed, though he was more on the 'nice braid' team than the 'are you trans?' team. "Did you make that yourself?" He wondered, brushing his grimy dirty hand across the intertwined pieces of hair. 

"No." I replied dryly. I wonder when he'll get the hint that I don't like him.

"Who did it then?" He tilted his head to the side, observing the two locks of hair that had slipped out from the hairdo, framing my face. 

"Tanjiro." I avoided eye contact as much as I could, just wishing he'd understand how much I'd like for him to go away. He smelled bad.

"Really? Wow. He's so cool." His voice faded softly, along with my lack of respect for him, as an icky feeling fell over me. What is this creepy admiration? "Can I sit with you guys at lunch again?" 

No you chunky booger. "I guess."

He grinned in reply, and I was hit with 2nd hand embarrassment like never before. "I... bye now." I said, dashing out the classroom. Why, why did I say yes? I shuffled over to science, greeted warmly by Chase, his kindness not under appreciated.

"Look, guys! It's the gay!" He snickered, some kids laughing with him. That sounds weirdly homophobic. I sit down and pull out my folder, a slight victorious feeling settling in once Mr. Iguro told Chase and the rest of his 'crew' that they had detention for that comment. Hah.