Chapter 9

Hello! I am so sorry this chapter came late. I was busy this past week with a few things and didn't have the opportunity to write every day. I thank you for your patience!

-le authore

Tanjiro's POV

It's Saturday today, the day if the fair. Nezuko was still angry at me about Thursday((was it Thursday?)). I don't get why, I mean, she's a little young to be doing things like that. It's not like she'd listen to me though. I watched her come down for breakfast and deliberately avoiding sitting anywhere near me. She settled near Hanako, across the table. I just sighed at her attitude.

"So! Any plans today?" Dad asked, placing his fork down. It was silent for a while, until Nezuko spoke up.

"Tanjiro and I and going to the winter fair today. A few friends are coming, too."

"Oh, that's fun! Do you guys want any money for it?" Mom reaches into her pocket to pull out her phone. "I can send you guys some!"

"No, it's alright. Thank you!" I sweat nervously, waiting for Nezuko to say something weird but she doesn't. She looks at me with a 'you're lucky I didn't embarrass you' expression. She likes doing that a lot. Kie puts the phone back and returns to eating her pancakes.

"If you say so..."

...

We watched people leaving and entering the book store as the time got closer and closer to 3 pm. Nezuko flipped through a comic, ever so often giving me a criminally offensive side eye. Eventually everyone arrived, though Inosuke was 10 minutes late. According to him, he got a long lecture from his mom about how you shouldn't feed the dog chocolate.

"Inosuke, you're so stupid." Zenitsu face palmed when he heard this. Inosuke gave him an offended look.

"HE WAS HUNGRY! AND I LIKE HERSHEY BARS. HE PROBABLY LIKED IT." He punched Zenitsu's arm and Zenitsu scoffed dramatically.

"Alright people, let's move!" I started out of the store, and we crossed the street to the fair. The entrance loomed over our heads as we walked through. The tickets were pretty cheap, to our advantage. Now we could spend more money on things like game stands and rides. Inosuke immediately directed the group to the popcorn stand.

"I WANT POPCORN. I DONT CARE IF YOU DONT! FOLLOW ME. HEHEHEHEHEHEH👹👺!" He stomped down the path, getting multiple confused stares from the strangers on it. Muichiro fiddled with his hair, and for the first time I realized that this could be overwhelming for him. I mean, if I was with someone's friends- or practically strangers to him, I'd be nervous too. I walked backwards a bit so that I could be next to him. Kanao looked behind and frowned for a second, realizing I had left her side, before returning to looking forward.

"How was your day?" I asked, lacing his fingers with mine. He looked up at me curiously, before returning his gaze to the ground.

"It was okay. Nothing very eventful." I tilted my head skeptically, because I don't feel like that's true. He didn't look me in the eye either, so maybe he wasn't feeling very well these past days. I noticed that he was off on Friday, too.

"Alright. Well, for me, this morning I had crepes. They were delicious." He finally met my eyes and smiled slightly.

"Crepes are the best."

"I know, right? What about you, what did you have for breakfast?" I ask, furiously tempted to walk away from the group with him right this second. We stopped by the popcorn stand while Inosuke purchased his triple-butter-double-cheese-caramel-kettle-slated popcorn.

"Buttered toast." He scrunched up his nose, and I had an idea.

"You know, I'm pretty sure I have some crepes left over from this morning. Do you want to come over to my house after this and eat some with me?" He smiled for real this time, and I forced my brain to imprint this image into my memories forever.