Chapter 13

Tanjiro's POV 

I remember feeling weird dropping off the present.

I guess it's only normal, based off of Friday. Why does all the weird stuff happen near/during the weekend? How strange. I was baking the cookies for Christmas, putting my heart into them. Because I knew I'd end up giving some to Muichiro. It was almost a guarantee. And I did, to my later on amusement. 

I remember hearing a voice in the mudroom on Tuesday. My brothers voice, to be exact. 

Shigeru always liked announcing his findings to the whole world. A while ago, we went on a hike. He screamed 'LOOK AT THIS PEBBEL' once, because he thought it was pretty. It was almost a bit scary, because we thought something happened to him by the way he yelled. Today, he said 'WHATS THIS GIFT ON OUR DOORSTEP!' Before shutting up once he saw me go over to pick it up. It was wrapped in pretty silver paper, and I took it inside. 

"I WANT IT!" Takeo grabbed at it, but I didn't let go. We don't know if this was meant for another person, and was just mailed wrong. I flipped it over to see 'for Tanjiro' written in Sharpie, and I smiled at the familiar square-shaped handwriting. Nezuko gave me a weird look as she leaned over from the other side of the table. Even my parents were there. Why in the world is everyone so interested?

"Looks like someone gave you a Christmas gift, huh..." Mom mumbled leaning over my shoulder. "Who's it from?" 

"A friend." I reply, striding over to the stairs and up to my room. I could feel the piercing stares of my family members behind me. When I got up to my room, I gently opened up the package, trying my best not to rip the paper. A folded piece of loose leaf fell out from underneath it, and I bent over to pick it up.

'Thank you for your gift, Tanjiro. You're a very good baker and probably the next Davinchi, based on what you drew on the card you gave me. Absolutely stunning. I hope all is well for you on this fine shit day. The weather is so nice and gray. Wait, that rhymed.'

I paused and chuckled a bit at his sarcasm.

'Anyways, I'm pretty sure you like green. I hope, anyway. This present is quite green, I warn you. You could even call it... green green.... I don't know, that's the first shade name that popped up when I searched up shades of green, and it matched the most. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as much as I enjoy spending my time with you. Happy belated birthday, Jesus. Oh, and Merry belated Christmas.

- Muichiro

P.S. what's the recipe to those cookies? I'm serious, they're very tasty.'

My stomach flipped at the line 'I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as much as I enjoy spending my time with you.' It was so... relatable. It really was. Spending time with Muichiro is so amazing, but goes by just so fast. I wish I could stay with him longer so maybe it wouldn't feel so quick. I pressed the letter to my heart, before resting it upon my desk, and unmasking the present. It looked like a giant pile of yarn, but once I opened it up my heart swelled. It was such a nice scarf. In my favorite color too. I wrapped it around my neck, the soft yarn brushing against my skin. I walked over to the mirror and examined myself, admiring the craftsmanship at the same time.

Nezuko barged into my room, stopping when our eyes met. "Is that from Muichiro?" She rested her hand on her hip, squinting at me. 

"Yea. Isn't it nice?" I picked up a part of it and gestured for Nezuko to come touch it. She walked over and brushed her fingers against the braided yarn, smiling. 

"It's so soft! Mine." She took it from around my neck before I could say anything, and dashed out of my room like Lightning McQueen. I groaned, trudging over to my beanbag and collapsing onto it. I wish I had someone to talk to...