3

Leilani walked down the raggedy road after a long day of school. I don't know if you know, but being a foreign exchange student in a country far away from your own was extremely difficult. It was even more difficult if you were the only dark skinned person in, well, the whole district.

Leilani was lucky to have made friends with other students, even though she did receive perplexed gazes every once in a while.

Luckily, today was Friday. Half a day more and she would be able to take a break from everything.

Turning past a corner, the girl was shocked to find the boy from the day before. Even weirder, he looked as if he were waiting for someone, waiting for her.

Weirdly enough, as soon as he caught sight of the girl, he walked towards her straight away.

Oh yes, the money

Actually, she was kidding about the money. It seemed as if the boy were serious though.

Leilani wasn't stupid, she knew that it wasn't him that had made her uncomfortable. If he handed her money however, she would only take half.

Because free money is free money.

"Here, I'm sorry for yesterday and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us." The boy handed the girl an envelope. Which was stacked to say the least.

"Chill, I was just joking. Where'd you get all this money anyways? A kid like you shouldn't be loaded like this."

The boy laughed, showing off his adorable smile and shook his head. "Not telling. And I'm sorry for being moody yesterday, I hope you can look past that."

Leilani nod her head and accepted the cash, taking her freezing hands out of her pocket to do so.

Korean winters were seriously no joke.

"Ok, my name is Leilani. I hope we can be friends."

"My name is Sunoo." The boy spoke with his soft voice. "But I'm not looking for a friend, I hope you can forgive me."

The girl was confused to say the least. "Then why'd you tell me to forget your moody mood from yesterday? We should have just done out business and then left"

"Good point." Sunoo nod. "I just don't want your only image of me to be a rude snobby boy, especially since it was the first time we crossed paths."

Fair point.

"Well." Leilani stuck her free hand out and gestured to Sunoo. "Pleasure doing business with you."

Sunoo confusedly looked at her hand sticking out. Culture shock I guess.

Regardless, he accepted and smiled at the girl.

Just as their hands touched, something cold and somewhat wet fell onto their hands.

The two looked up at the sky, being shown a display of snow falling gracefully into the earth, cooling down the atmosphere even further.

Leilani shivered even more, being from Australia, she was extremely under prepared for the chilly season. Seriously, she didn't even have gloves

Sunoo jerked his hand away from the girl and shreiked. "First snowfall!"

The two looked at eachother. "Lovers always spend the first snowfall together. And right now, w-we're together." The boy explained, cheeks heating up.

Leilani completely dismissed what she had just been told. "Lucky for you, I don't believe in superstitions like that. You'll meet your lover another day."

Sunoo didn't believe it. Leilani just didn't understand. For now, he chose to ignore it.

The snow started falling even harder, making Leilani's hair wet from the lack of coverage. And Sunoo wasn't heartless, he had wanted to leave but he just couldn't.

"Come, we can find a place undercover for now."

And that's how the two sat at an empty bus stop, waiting for the snow to stop. Leilani now wore a long scarf that snaked around her neck and her head, as well as an extra large jumper, courtesy of Sunoo's kindness, while her hands sat snug in the wooly pockets.

Sunoo wore one less jacket, a beenie and gloves. It was enough to keep him warm since he was used to the weather.

"You can go, you've done enough." Leilani spoke up, seeing that the snow was showing no sign of stopping anytime soon.

"It's fine. I don't want to leave you alone now. Besides, Hanbin told me he has something for me so..."

Leilani bit her lip as she was reminded of something. "By the way...how did you and Hanbin meet?"

Sunoo smiled as he was transported back in time, remembering the golden past. "We met in primary school, on the first day actually. Hanbin and I are practically brothers, his family and my family are the same."

Leilani smiled softly as she heard the boy speak. "It seems like you perceive the past so beautifully. I hope I can grow to do the same eventually."

"Why." Sunoo raised a brow. "Are you like, super depressed?"

His words made Leilani chuckle.

Sunoo couldn't help but think that he had achieved something by making the pretty girl react that way.

"No, I have a very blessed life. I'd just like to achieve the same level of peace that you seem to have."

Leilani's words undoubtedly made sunoo blush. He felt so seen and vunerable in that moment, but in a good way.

"You know what I said earlier?" He spoke, turning his head away to hide his embarrassment.

"About lovers and snowfalls?"

"No! No, I meant about how I didn't want any friends. I really wouldn't mind if I became close with someone right about now. Not if it's you."

Leilani had never felt this emotion before. A boy had made her flustered.

"Ok then, let's be friends, Sunoo." Leilani stuck out her hand once again, only this time, Sunoo didn't really experience culture shock. I'm lying, he did. Westerners are so different.

Sunoo shook her hand, as if they had just made a successful business deal. Only, they had just become friends.

And with that, the curious boy got up and left the girl sitting alone, somehwat warm in the cold, cold weather.

And that's how Kim Sunoo and Leilani Walters became friends one winter day.