4

"You're back so late today, why?" Was the first thing that Leilani heard when she entered the house. It was Hanbin, checking in on her. The boy always acted like he had a sense of duty of looking out for the girl, despite the fact that they were almost completely strangers.

"I met someone, and then I got stuck in the snow." The girl took her shoes off at the doorstep and entered, seeing Hanbin situated peacefully in the kitchen.

"Those clothes look awfully familiar..." Was all he said before he started to put away his laptop. "You good?"

Leilani was slumped against the kitchen wall. She was cold, and wet and tired.

"All good." She nod her head and showed the boy a thumbs up

Sunoo and Hanbin have a huge age gap between them, Sunoo must have been in grade 1 when Hanbin was in 6. I wonder how they became friends?

"Don't worry." Hanbin interrupted her train of thoughts. "A little more to go and then you'll be all done."

Leilani chuckled at his comforting words and agreed. "Yeah, half a day more and then I'm done."

Hanbin smirked. "No, I meant your time in Korea is almost up. You'll be going back to Australia to graduate soon, right?"

Oh yeah, Leilani's time was almost up.

"You sound so eager to kick me out of your house Hanbin..."

"It's true. You've stayed here too long, please get out." The boy joked as he walked to Leilani, handing her a packet of snacks. "Picked these up from the store today, enjoy ok?"

Leilani was surprised. Hanbin? Leaving the house? No way.

"You went where??"

"I was supposed to meet a friend today, but I guess he won't show." The boy bid the girl goodbye and walked out of the kitchen and towards his room upstairs, probably to continue studying. "Damn Kim Sunoo..." He cursed under his breath.

-

Finally, finally she was done for the week. Leilani was walking down the same old raggedy path when she saw Sunoo, sitting under the empty bus stop stand and sulking.

Today, she was feeling good. And so she decided right then and there, that she would go and speak to the boy first.

"What's wrong friend?" She approached the boy openly.

Sunoo looked up and his eyes widened, seeing who it was. "I asked Hanbin to meet me but he never came. Probably because I ditched him yesterday."

"Well why'd you ditch him?"

"Because our whole conversation yesterday made me feel some type of way... It's not really an explanation." Sunoo concluded as he covered his face with his hands frustratedly.

Leilani was free. As in, she had nothing to do. She had an empty schedule.

"What were you guys planning to do together?"

"Maybe walk around Han river, go to the cinemas and eat food."

"I haven't been to Han river yet..."

Sunoos head shot up as he looked at the girl. "What...how...what?"

"Never got the time to..."

Sunoos mood was instantly lifted as he jumped out of his seat.

"Come, today I'll show you heaven."

-

"That was disappointing" sunoo commented as they left the cinema

The 'horror' movie they had gone to see had been extremely predictable, mellow and not worth the $17.90 tickets.

"Tell me about it, but that guy next to us was acting like he was so scared." Leilani commented, kicking a rock as she walked.

"I think he did that so he could get close to his date. Ew."

Leilani turned to look at the boy next to her. "What's wrong with going on a date?"

"Nothing. I just hate the whole concept of 'love', dating unseriously especially."

"I can respect that." Leilani had caught onto the fact that the boy probably hadn't had the best experience with the feeling.

"Me personally, I think dating is a waste of time. Spending so much time with someone and calling them your partner, only to part ways a few months later after investing so much time and money, it's just not it."

Sunoo turned to the girl, eyes wide open. "Thankyou! You get me, I don't hate love, but I'll only ever love and be with one person for the rest of my life."

The two stopped waking, seeing that they had reached their second destination for the hang out.

"I don't know...it's just a river."

"Look properly, it's Han river."

"Brisbane rivers better. We have Southbank too."

Sunoo started to walk away after hearing the girls less than enthusiastic response.

"No wait! Ok, food is on me." Leilani tried to redeem herself, which she did.

"For real? Let's eat some street food then!" Sunoo suggested, jogging back to his new friend and holding her hand in order to drag her along.

"This boy..." Leilani thought, as she let him take her hand.

"Sunoo? I'm glad I made friends with you. You understand me."

"We've known eachother for like two days..."

Leilani grew silent.

Sunoo burst into laughter and pat her back sympathetically

"I'm just kidding, I was just thinking the same. I'm glad we became friends. Now feed me please."