17

"Hey Sun!" Leilani exclaimed, happy to hear that Sunoo had picked up his phone within a few rings.

"Wow, she's so excited now that she's completed another exam." Sunoo spoke, happy to hear that his friend was in a good mood.

"You're right! Let's go to the mall today, get matching shirts or something." The girl suggested as she played with the hem of her shirt. Finishing an exam left her confused. She was happy because duh, one less exam left. But sad because duh, she was leaving.

"Bet, I'll meet you at the usual spot?" Leilani could practically hear the smile through his voice. Yes, the two were excited to hang.

"Bet, see you later Sun."

-

Sunoo smiled and waved enthusiastically once Leilani came into his line of sight. They finally had free time to spend together. No distractions or anything.

"Catch the bus?" Leilani asked, pulling out her bus card from her pocket. She now knew how to properly get on a bus like a pro.

Sunoo looked at the girl and smiled. "Sure, but first, let me take you somewhere." The boy grabbed the girls hand and started walking. Confused, the girl only did as she was told. Sunoo was a whirlwind of randomness, nothing could stop him

Together, they made their way to a small jewellery shop that looked as if it were on the brink of bankruptcy. Together, the went inside and greeted the old lady sitting at the counter.

The lady looked up from the counter, squinted her eyes and smiled a toothless grin. "I was wondering when you'd show up, son." Was all she said before she got up and left to the back rooms.

"Is that your mum?"

"No, she just calls everyone like that."

The lady returned with a dainty little gold locket, it went perfectly with Leilani's sophisticated vibe.

Sunoo reached to grab his wallet when the lady ushered him to stop. "My store is going to close down soon, I'm thankful that you were my last customer. This is on the house, I insist."

Sunoo opened his mouth to protest when the old lady stopped him again. "You've been loyal to me since we opened this store, if you don't accept my offer then I'm afraid you can't have this." The lady hid the locket behind her back in one swift move. Which was suprising because, well, she was old.

Sunoo finally nod his head, Leilani stood on the sideline watching the interaction with amusement.

"Thankyou so much aunty. I'll be sure to visit you and your son one day."

The old lady smiled a toothless grin once again. "Make sure you do. And make sure you bring your girlfriend with you!" The old lady teased, earning the stink eye from Sunoo.

The two acquaintances walked out of the store, and Sunoo immediately stopped Leilani. "Stop moving! Let me put this on you."

"I can put it on myself Kim. I'm not a child."

In the end, Sunoo got what he wanted and Leilani stood silently, with her back to the boy.

He brushed all of Leilani's hair to one side,  soft breath fanning the small of her neck. "How pretty." He muttered to himself once he was done, turning the girl around using his hands.

Leilani found herself blushing under his sweet gaze. She had never felt so seen, so taken care of, so loved.

They were lost in eachothers gazes. "How pretty." Leilani repeated, looking into the boys eyes.

"Y-yes, the locket is so pretty." She snapped out of it.

Sunoo also found himself blushing once he realised what the girl really meant. But he chose not to ruin the moment by saying something dumb.

"Look inside!"

Dumbfounded, the girl opened the locket to see a Polaroid photo from the photo booth. The first time they had hung out at the mall together. How long has it been since then?

Sunoo whatched the girl chuckle lovingly when she realised which photo he had put in there.

"You picked out the most awkward one!" She cried, looking at how far apart they were sitting in the small and cramped booth.

The boy joined in on her laughter. "To celebrate how far we've come since then."

Leilani smiled as she remenisced over the small amount of meaningful memories they had created so far. "Cheers to us."

-

It didn't take long to get to the mall. On the way, the two acquaintances had shared earphones, listening to the same music together. Just like a couple would.

They had gone to the highest quality shop to get matching T-shirts, ones that wouldn't fade away or tear easily. Just like any other couple would.

They had ordered a milkshake and shared it, drinking with two seperate straws in the same cup. Just like lovers would.

They had held hands on crowded places so that they wouldn't be seperated from eachother. Just like anyone else in a relationship would.

They had bought eachother silly little meaningful gifts. Just like anyone else that was dating would.

The two ended the day, going home and laying in bed. All alone. Think the same thing as eachother.

"What a shame we can't be together."

They truely would have been perfect for eachother.