13

Leilani sat at her desk for what seemed to be like too long. "Stupid exams I hate school I should just marry a rich boy I hate this..." Her constant ramblings weren't unheard by Hanbin.

"What's wrong?" He asked, leaning on the doorframe.

Leilani turned around and looked at her fake big brother. Hanbins eyes widened as he assessed the state of the girl. Dark eyebags, a low messy bun, week old hoodie with cereal stains on it, face red with marks from all the times she had fallen asleep on accident. And to top it all off, writing on her face. She had probably fell onto her books at one point and drooled, leavings stains on her face.

Hanbin wasn't going to be the one to tell her that. Because he was evil

Taking initiative to care for the younger, the boy walked to the desk, took Leilani's pen and sat it down before closing all her books and packing away all her pens.

"What are you doing?" Leilani was a little annoyed.

"Come on, take a break with me. I'm going to get some food, join me?"

Leilani looked into the heart shaped mirror that was hanging in the corner of the room. "Give me five seconds I swear I'll be ready."

Hanbin shook his head and pulled the girl up so that she were standing. "You look fine, it's not like we'll run into someone."

Leilani raised an eyebrow. Hanbin was a big fat liar.

Hanbin laughed, knowing that Leilani knew her state wasn't the best. And yet he still dragged her out of the house and towards a  small pop up type of resteraunt on the side of a popular street. Only it wasn't so busy during this time of day since students were studying and adults were working.

"Are hotdogs fine?" Hanbin askes before ordering.

"Get some fishcakes too." Hanbin raised a brow. "Please." Leilani added.

The two decided to walk to a nearby bench and eat their food there

Hanbin carried three hotdogs while Leilani carried two fishcakes. Hanbin must be really hungry to order extra food.

"So." Hanbin spoke once the two had sat down. "Talk to me. What's going on between you and Sunoo?"

Leilani choked on her food. Nothing was going on between her and Sunoo.

"We're just friends." What a lie.

Hanbin shook his head disappointedly. Leilani should have known that it would take more than an amateur lie to fool the boy.

"What a load of bull. Tell me what you think about him."

Leilani sat and chewed on her food. Now that she had been put on the spot, it felt as of she were eating rubber. Not fun at all.

"I feel sad." She revealed. Oh no, why did her chest feel so constricted? This was not the appropriate time, nor place, to cry.

"Why do you feel sad, Lani?" Hanbin askes, rubbing the girls back comfortingly. Leilani nearly wept at the sound of her nickname. The very same nickname that Sunoo was so persistent on calling the girl.

"Sunoo used to call me that, you know? Lani..."

"Bro Sunoo didn't die. Stop talking about him like that."

Finally, the girl managed to let out laughter. Hanbin smiled when he saw this. He couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl and her friend. They had met eachother too late and were being forced to say goodbye too early.

"I just think it's so sad. He's such a good person and I'll have to leave him soon."

"You'll leave me soon too, you know? And just because you're in a different country won't mean that we'll lose contact."

Leilani sighed. Her food wasn't appealing anymore. "It won't be the same."

Hanbin looked down at his feet, more specifically, the grass that was below it. They seemed to be so dull and grey today.

"I know."

The two sat in silence for the rest of the time.

That was until a particularly happy boy squeezed himself inbetween them

"Sun, wha-?"

"Hey! Hanbin invited me to eat hotdogs, I didn't know you'd come too?" Sunoo smiled, turning to his friend and-

Oh

He smiled sadly once he saw his friends condition. He knew the feeling all too well, over exerting yourself into some form of work in order to get the best possible results, only to feel exhausted and terrible inside.

"Lani, make sure you take care of yourself. Ok?" He took the girls hand and pressed his lips to it in a friendly manner.

Leilani looked at Sunoo, then Hanbin, then the three hotdogs.

Gosh, she had been so dumb. Ofcourse the extra hotdog was for Sunoo. Ofcourse Hanbin had invited her out with his friends since he knew that Sunoo and Leilani got along well.

And now, Sunoo had seen Leilani in her worst possible state.

The girl got up abruptly. She didn't feel like hanging out anymore.

"I have to go back to studying. See you later." She tried to walk away, only to be stopped by Sunoo who was holding the sleeve of her hoodie.

He smiled at her so sweetly, as if he knew everything that was going on with her. "Don't be embarassed Lani. You're working hard to achieve your dreams. Doing so doesn't always look so dazzling." Sunoo pulled the girl back into her respective seat.

"Take a break with us. Rest and relax. That's what we're here for." Sunoo ended.

Hanbin sat there. He had so desperately wanted to comfort Leilani but had failed. Then came along Sunoo who had achieved what Hanbin had wanted to do in one easy go.

The boy smiled to himself. He was happy that Leilani had someone to care for her as deeply as Sunoo did.

What a shame they would lose that connection soon.

The three sat down on the bench, watching the sun set and spread its glorious colours into the sky.

"I love the sunset." Leilani smiled.

"It's beautiful." Sunoo looked at Leilani.

"I shouldn't be here." Thought Hanbin