Chapter 4: Tess

It didn't matter how many times she did it, waking up and walking through her Inn was always the highlight of Tess's morning. Five guest rooms, three living quarters, a kitchen, and common room. Three floors and a small cellar she used for storing vegetables when she could get them. It wasn't much by most people's standards, you could fit the entire place inside the great hall of Long Table, but Tess didn't care, it was hers. Every gold dragon she used to buy it was earned, the deed was in her name and no one had the right to take it from her.
    As Tess cleared the last stair on the landing between the first and second floors she had to quickly side step the small blond boy who was darting past her in the opposite direction. In one quick motion she spun around scooping the boy into her arms before he could get away, making him squeal with laughter.

"What is this furry little creature scurrying around my inn?" She growled, tickling his tummy.

"I not a creature!" The boy gasped between giggles, "I Little Sam!"

"Oh you're little Sam! Of course how could I forget!" She teased, she tipped him upright so they were face to face, "and what mischief are you getting up to today Little Sam?"

"Jus playin." He said, getting distracted by pulling the frayed edge of the scarf she had wrapped around her hair.

"Oh well....I suppose we can allow that." She said, "but what are the rules?"

"No goin in people rooms, be quiet in da hall, no playin in da kitchen." He rattled off.

"Well done my good sir!" Said Tess, she set him down and gave him an affectionate pat on the bottom, "Off you go!"

     The boy continued up the stairs and Tess could hear him giggling as he went. When Gilly had first come to the Inn looking for work Tess had admittedly been wary. She been in many an establishment where they had children running around under foot, and it was not what she intended for her place, but there was something about Gilly that made her agree to give her a chance. So far it had worked out beautifully, not only was Little Sam an intelligent reserved little boy who much preferred to stay away from the crowded common room, but hearing his laughter in the halls had brought her more joy than she could have imagined.

     She reached the door to the kitchen and grabbed the door frame swinging herself around the corner and onto the empty counter top in one fluid motion.

"You know I'll never get used to that." Said Elle, who was in front of the stove already stirring various bubbling sauces, "You just flitting into a room like you've got wings on your feet."

"I don't flit." Said Tess, examining the basket of pastries sitting next to her, "flitting is too girlish and sweet."

"And gods forbid anyone consider you girlish or sweet." Said Elle with an eye roll.

"Damn right." Tess retorted. She picked a fruit filled pastry out of the basket, "You saving these?"

     Ella gave her a wave of permission and went back to her sauces.

"Slow night last night." She commented.

"Slower than most," Tess agreed, she pulled off a piece of the pastry and tossed it in her mouth, "But with the way those Gold Cloaks and castle dwellers drink, we still made a profit."

     Elle was the first person Tess had brought in when she bought her inn, she knew for a fact that her cooking was not going to get the job done and a good cook was the key to her success. Being that Elle was such an integral part of the inn, it made sense that Tess would make her and equal partner.  All matters of business and profit they decided together.

"I noticed your castle friends brought someone new last night." Elle continued.

"Yeah I imagine he was hard to miss, even from back here." Said Tess, she hopped off the counter and grabbed a pitcher from the long table in the middle of the room. She gave it a sniff and on inspection found it to be orange juice, she grabbed a glass and poured some.

From the Ashes  (ASOIAF) (Sandor Clegane x OC)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें