27

I head down to the beach a little later than usual this morning. Lila, Mac and I all celebrated the fact that we've disbanded and I got a little drunker than I wanted to, which resulted in me sleeping until 10am. 

Its not like I have a lot of things to do today anyways, I'm lucky enough that my days are open and not stressful.

"Funny seeing you here." I hear from in front of me as I get out the water.

I look up and see Vic standing there. He has sunglasses over his eyes and the only other thing he's wearing is swimming shorts. As always my mind is upset with me for noticing how good he looks. 

"I'm here every morning." I say to him as I bend down to pick my towel up. "What're you doing here?"

"Same thing as you." he says. "I love a good morning swim."

"The water is nice and cool for you." I say, trying to not say anything too flirty.

Even though Vic is around, its not like I'm going to end my relationship for him. I don't know if he wants me, and I wouldn't do that to Luke. And yet I feel guilty every single time I spend time with Vic or he texts me. We're not doing anything wrong, but at the same time I know in the back of my mind that its also not fully right either.

"Join me?" Vic asks. "I know you're just getting out, but whats another quick 10 minutes?"

"You going to try and drown me?"

"Yes." he says with a grin. "Come on, swimming alone is no fun."

"You came here alone." I point out.

To my surprise Vic blushes. He actually fucking blushes. I didn't think he could. This makes me realize something though.

"You knew I was here." I say.

"I did."

"Did you come here just to see me?"

His mouth curves back up into a smile. "And if I did?"

"Vic..." I trail off quietly.

All around us are other people minding their business, swimming and just laying out in the sun before it gets too hot. I bet to them we look like a couple. We're standing so close together, neither of us minding the other in their personal space. Out here we can be whoever we want, but at the end of the day we'd both have it on our conscience if something happened between us. It'd affect me more than him, but he still knows its entirely wrong. And yet we're drawn to each other.

"I know, I'm sorry." he says quickly. "I wasn't thinking."

I give him a small nod but I don't answer him. I'm too caught up in my feelings right now. Its hard to keep track of all of them, its a mess.

"Hey." he says, placing his warm hand on my shoulder. "Lets just go swim. We'll have fun."

"Okay, but if you try and drown me I'll be pissed." I joke.

"No promises. I'll race you in." he says then takes off in a sprint towards the water.

For the next twenty minutes we play around in the water. We splash each other, we dunk each other in. Okay, Vic dunks me in, but I still try and throw him under the waves any chance I get. We eventually let the waves just roll over us, taking us closer to the sand with every wave that washes over us. Once we end up on the sand, we wade back out and let the waves take us back over and over again, until eventually we let ourselves get washed up on the shore.

We head to where our towels are to dry off with the sun for a bit, letting ourselves rest and soak up the beautiful morning on a mostly empty beach. 

Its weird to think that months ago we were fighting. I never thought we'd get to a good place again but I'm so thankful for how forgiving Vic was. Even before we got together, I enjoyed his company as a friend. He's a great listener and an even better storyteller, but overall hes just a great guy. Its nice to get to experience him again.

"What do you usually do with the rest of your day?" he asks me after a couple moments of silence.

"Depends on the day. I've been really into pottery." I say.

He turns his head and looks at me, pushing his sunglasses down so I can see his eyes.

"Seriously?" he asks.

"Yeah." I say with a laugh. "Its a lot of fun. You should try it out sometime."

"You should teach me sometime." he retorts. "You have your own stuff are you place?"

I nod. "I have a whole room for it."

"No shit."

"Yep." I turn and point towards my house, pointing at a window with some vases in it. "Thats my room for it, and those are some of the things I've made."

He turns and looks, a smile on his face as he studies the tiny looking vases. 

"Well you'll have to have me over sometime." he says.

"I'm free today." I say wish causes him to let out a laugh.

"I have some stuff to deal with." he says. "But tomorrow I'm free all day."

"Cool!" I say, genuinely excited. "We can do all kinds of things."

"Oh?" he says, raising an eyebrow at me.

My cheeks flush as I realize what I've said. "I meant, like, hobbies and stuff. Maybe music too. We've never played together."

"I think we have." he says.

"What? When? We haven't play-" I say, stopping myself as I realize the double meaning of my words. "I didn't mean it like that! I should just stop talking."

He lays down on his towel, propping himself with his elbows.

"Nah." he says. "Keep talking 'cause I love to hear your voice."

"Stop twisting my words then." I respond.

"Stop making it so easy." he retorts, a satisfied smile on his face.

For a second I almost let him win and say nothing, but I can't let him think that he's ever puled one over on me.

Ever so quietly I say "I should've drown you." and I think he doesn't hear me, but his mouth slowly turns up into a smile and I can tell he did, but now he's letting me win.

Its a sad victory, but I take it anyways.