30

I'm leaning against a railing outside the venue trying to calm myself down after what happened inside.

I know Luke had every reason to leave me, but the fact that he did it there is messed up. I want to blame Vic but I can't. Its my fault. I wasn't fair to him, I deserve this.

God when did everything get so complicated? I thought when I left these people behind my life would be great, but now they're here again and my life is turning into the mess that it once was. Maybe Vic and I are too complicated to be together. We can never get the timing right.

As I'm having my pity party outside, I hear footsteps approaching me.

I don't need to turn to know who it is. Its always the same person.

"Luke broke up with me." I say, my voice a mix of tired and upset. 

I turn and see Vic behind me, looking at me with an unreadable look.

"You can celebrate now." I say and turn back around to stare at the park thats across the street from us.

There's so many people in the park today. Theres a woman on the phone who's walking the smallest wiener dog I've ever seen in my life. Next to her is a couple of teenagers who are holding hands. They're clearly in the beginning of their relationship. There seems to be every type of person at the park. Some are in couples, some with kids, some alone. All these people so close to us and yet none of them know the confusion of Vic and I.

"I wouldn't celebrate that." he says and takes the spot beside me on the railing. "I'm sorry. I know it was my fault."

"I had a good life here, Vic." I say quietly. "You've come here and complicated everything."

"I didn't complicate things." he says, straightening up.

"Yes you did."

He shifts beside me, turning to face me. His hair falls over his shoulder in the cutest way ever. I want to reach out and touch it, touch him, but I stop myself.

"Wren I'm in love with you." he says, his eyes boring into mine. "There's nothing complicated about that."

I stare at him in complete shock. Its like my entire body is paralyzed with surprise. I've been wanting to hear him say that for forever. I've thought about it since that time he took me to that hill in whatever city we were in. I've daydreamed about it over and over again, I just never pictured it here in California while we're not on tour, or I'm not even in a band. I never could've guessed that this is what my life would be like, but yet the only thing that stayed the same in my fantasy versus now is that Vic is here beside me.

"No pressure to say it back, but I just needed you to know that I love you." he says with a small smile on his face.

"I... Are you sure?"

Vic laughs at this. Hard.

"I'm sure." he says. "I've thought about it a lot."

"Yeah? Since when?" I say, a small smirk on my lips.

"Remember when we went to that very beautiful slanted grass patch?"

"The hill?  I ask.

He nods. "I knew then. I tried so hard each day to not try and bother you. I didn't want you to think I was stalking you, so I played it cool.

"You didn't." I say with a laugh.

"If you saw all the text drafts I never sent you, you'd be creeped out, trust me." he says and laughs.

"You weren't the only one." I admit.

I don't know how he's done it, but Vic has managed to make me forget all the anger and sadness I was feeling moments ago. I think its a power he has because he always manages to do it.

"I want to be with you." he says, his face more serious now than it was moments ago. "If you want the same thing all you have to do is let me know."