Zoro x Reader

⚠️WARNING: ANGST⚠️

"What if there's a day that I leave you?"
     "You plan on leaving me?"
     "Not intentionally."
     "What do you mean?"
     "I mean when I die."
     "You're not allowed to die."
     "Everyone dies, Zoro."
     "You can't die. I refuse to have you leave under unfair circumstances. I will protect you with my life."
     "If there's ever a time when I leave you, please don't be mad. Don't be sad. Don't blame yourself. Just be happy knowing I've spent my life with you."
     "Why are you saying all of this?"
     "It's a scary world and the reality is people die every day. I just want you to know my wishes if I were to ever die. Whether it be tomorrow, a week from now. A month from now or even 60 years from now. I just want you to know."

.
.
.

  "STAY WITH ME (Y/N)!" The pained cries from Chopper made Zoros heart ache as he stared into the floor of the Sunny. Tools dropping and vials breaking were heard from the opened infirmary room. His body was frozen still. That conversation replayed in his head over and over again. That was 7 years ago.

     "FRANKY, PASS ME THAT SYRINGE!"
     "I NEED THAT FLUID BAG!"
     "MORE GAUZE!"

     The panicked requests made everyone wait outside on the rain soaked deck in horror. The damage was done and they already had gotten their revenge. That still didn't mean things were okay. You were under Choppers care dying. Severe wounds all over your body, a slit to your throat that went deep.

     Your life was leaving and you felt Chopper doing everything he can. You fought as hard as you can but you couldn't stay any longer. It was time for you to go.

     "STAY WITH ME PLEASE!!!" The monotone beep was heard, snapping everyone back to the reality that one of their friends, their cherished, loved and adored friends, just now passed.

     Zoro refused to let that happen. He ran into the infirmary as Chopper was trying to resuscitate the female before him, tears pooling his eyes, his brown fur now painted a crimson color from her blood.

     "What does she need?! Blood?! I'll give her blood! Do you need some kind of medicine to help her? I'll go get it! Tell me, what do you need from me to help!?" Chopper stopped, knowing you were not going to come back. You were too severely injured. The fact that you stayed alive long enough to make it back to the ship was a miracle. The cries were silent as he had no more air in his lungs as he wailed in sadness. Never had he lost a patient and the first one he ever did was a close friend of his.

     "CHOPPER!?" He gasped for air, choking on his tears.

     "She's... g-gone Z-Zoro..." The swordsman swore his heart tightened from the words. There's no way you were gone. You had made so many plans with him. You told him you wanted to marry him. You wanted to live back in your home town where you grew up. You wanted kids with him. You wanted to grow old together. All the the dreams promises the two of you made together shattered right before his very eyes. You were gone.

.
.
.

     The crisp autumn air drifted through the trees, making them rattle and shudder, shedding their crimson leaves on the ground. A small headstone just under a large maple tree was neatly decorated with flowers and origami. Zoro smiled at the paper animals, knowing the towns children made them for you. How you adored children. A very saint in their eyes.

     "I didn't forget our anniversary. Are you proud of me?" Plopping his body down in front of your headstone, he stared at the stone, reading your name and epitaph.

     "I got you some (Favorite Flowers). I know how much you like (Favorite Animal) so I got you this from another island. I thought you'd like it." He leaned the tiny plush toy against the stone and placed the flowers neatly in front of him. His thoughts were swirling in his head. He was angry. He was sad. He was depressed. He was lost.

     He felt lost without you.

     Tears burned his eyes and streamed down his cheeks as he cried silently, covering his face, mourning the love of his life.

     Why couldn't it have been him? Where was he when you needed him? Why did you have to go so early? Were you scared the whole time? Were you looking for him, hoping for him to come save you?

     All of these questions crushed his mind and sanity. He craved your touch and ached for your angelic voice to say his name, if only it were just one more time.

     "I'm sorry I failed you... I'm... I'm s-so sor-" He couldn't even speak, he was in so much pain.

     "Zoro?" He didn't lift his head up, he knew his crew finally caught up and came to pay their respects as well.

     Standing up without looking at them, he walked off towards your old home, planning to pay your family a visit. None of his friends stopped him, as he needed his own time and space. 

     There will forever be questions in his mind and aches in his heart. He will always blame himself even when he tries not to. Your words will always be remembered but he couldn't help but feel the opposite of what you wanted him to feel. If he could turn back time, he would've came to you sooner. He remembers your last words and it kills him every single time, driving him deeper into an abyssal depression.

     "You're gonna be a father so don't go dying on me, Zoro!"