Chapter 1

The jerk and I?
Chapter 1:

Every school has their popular guy, the guy that likes to fool around with girls. Well, in Prim High, that's Gab Bateaux, the biggest jerk I've known my whole life. Surprisingly, we used to be friends. Best friends to be precise. But things changed when we entered high school. And ever since then, he has been some mannerless guy I used to know. I knew he fooled around with a bunch of girls. Well, at least that's what I had been thinking before I got to learn the truth.

"Alright class, as you all may know, this is the time of the year to start a new project. I will be pairing you up, and you will have to research on a subject. A subject will be provided to you and you have to prepare an oral presentation." Everyone groaned as Mrs. Kent explained the instructions.

"Okay, so Waylie you'll be with Jake. You guys will be working on the American's revolution. Tom with Sarah..." and she trailed off, pairing the others. I really hoped I would be pair up with one of my friends, but unfortunately, I knew Mrs. Kent only paired boys and girls together. It was her preference and apparently, a boy and a girl working together would result in an excellent output.

"And finally, Joelle and Gab will be working on the First World War." Wait. What?

Did she just say what I think she said? No, no, no. This cannot be happening. I got paired with that scum? Luckily, the bell rang and everyone made their way out of class. As the teacher was gathering her stuff, I grabbed my binders and rushed up to her desk.

"Is there something wrong Ms. Lane?" She asked, still cleaning up her work.

"Um, is there a chance I could change my partner?"

"Now, now, Gab can't be that bad, right?" she teased.

"I know, but, he and I... We don't quite get along together."

"I'm sorry to hear that Joelle. Unfortunately, I can't change your partner... Unless you want to work alone?"

"Ye-"

"I was joking. Now you better hurry up and get to your next class." she interrupted me and stood in front of the door, basically telling me to get out. I sighed in defeat knowing there was no way I could have my partner changed.

Just as I got to my locker, the bell rang which obviously indicated that I was late. Great. I grabbed my binder and textbook and headed to my next class. When I made my way round the corner, I saw Gab with some of his friends, talking. Obviously, he saw me on the corner of his eyes and whispered something to them, making them nod to each other and walking away.

He made his way to me with a playful smirk plastered on his face.

"Hey partner." he said.

"Look. Let me be clear I don't like you. I know we're supposed work on the project together, but how about you work on one part and I'll work on another then we'll just combine them together?" I suggested.

"Whatever's fine with you, sweetheart" he smirked

"Don't call me sweetheart unless you want your balls dropped in advance." I warned him, glaring daggers at him.

"Feisty, aren't we?" he shook his head while chuckling. I rolled my eyes at his remark and walked passed him making our shoulders brush. Just as I took another step, his hand circled my wrist pushing me against the lockers. His arms were on each side of me making it impossible to escape. I tried not to look into his eyes, but his warm touching fingers lifted my chin forcing me to look into his brown, with details of green, eyes. I could feel his hot breath against my lips as he moved closer to me. I swallowed a big lump into my stomach as he tucked a strand of my brown locks behind my ear, without breaking our eye contact. I could feel the heat radiating off of him like waves. He leaned onto me, our lips just inches apart. His lips brushed against mine, making me feel those stupid fireworks sparkling inside me. I found myself looking at his full pink lips, just like he was looking at mine.

Why am I feeling like that? I shouldn't. He's the biggest jerk ever.

His lips formed into a smirk as he backed away. "See you later, alligator," he said walking away confidently. My heart was beating so fast that I bet he heard it. I slid down the wall, flushed, taking in all the things that just happened. What was I thinking? That he was actually going to kiss me?

But what was this? Certainly something that I had never experienced before.