Chapter 9

The jerk and I?
Chapter 9

I was eating lunch with the girls when Neal appeared beside us. He took his spot just beside me and smiled as he sat down.

"Hey guys." His voice filled my right ear.

"We're not guys. We're girls." Mer said, with a joke tone in her voice.m

"Right, right. Sorry." He chuckled.

"So... Are you thinking of going to semi?" Shelly asked. He nodded in reply.

"Planning on to ask someone? Cuz you know... If you aren't, I'm still available." Gwen winked twice at him, making me giggle.

"Sorry Gwen, I already had someone in my mind. Maybe next time?"

"Too bad then, your lost." She fake sighed.

"Who are you going to ask?" I asked.

"Well... I was thinking about you?" So bold...

Everyone at our table stopped what they were doing.

"M-m-m-m-e?" I stuttered really bad.

"Mhm." He smiled. My eyes quickly flickered to Gab's table where he was laughing, like always, with Cam and the others. I guess I already knew he wasn't going to go since dances were 'gay' for him. Emilia was beside him, her arm locked with his like she owned him and that just made me want to throw up fire balls at her.

"U-um..."

"You don't have to answer right now. Just give me your answer by the end of the day okay?"

"O-okay."

And that was the end of lunch. The bell rang and he quickly had to go. As I grabbed my stuff Gwen nudged me by my side.

"Well that was interesting,"she smirked, "who knew the cool good-looking new boy was going to ask you out."

"Whatever." I mumbled.

The day went by smoo- who am I even kidding! It was stressful! I had Neal's proposal to semi and not only that but I didn't know why I was thinking about Gab too!

In the end, I decided to ask for a little more time, to clear up the confusion. (:s poor lane.)
Breath Joelle, breath, I told myself. I was at the doorstep's at the bateaux' house. I took one step at a time. Really. slow.

"What are you doing?" I heard a car door slam. I turn around to see him.

"I wanted to talk to you..." I managed to say.

"Okay... What is it?" He asked, gazing into my eyes.

"Can we, um, go somewhere? Where we could talk in private?"

"Sure. Let's go to the park." He answered, and so we started walking in silence. In that moment, I felt like everything was slowing down. The beating of my heart filling in my ears with the cars driving by, and our footsteps against the concrete.

He had his hands in his pocket as he looked ahead of us. He had his hair staying naturally today, his ends curling up just a bit. When we got there, he quickly shuffled to the swings, me following him.

"So... Tell me what it is." He asked as I sat down to the swing next to him. I waited for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"I was thinking... W-what are we? Are we really best friends like you said? I'm so confuse. I don't know how to feel about you. I don't know if I should like you or not. But when Neal asked me if I wanted to go to semi with him, you suddenly popped in my head. We kissed once or twice, but I always and still do feel that tingling feeling on my lips when I think about it. And just the thought of you makes me all nervous and I blush and this feeling inside me...I'm so confuse. I feel like I can't... I can't be your friend anymore, because I think, maybe, I may have fallen for you..." By now, my hands were holding tight onto the chains as I looked down to my feet.

"Why are you crying?" He wiped my tears. He had crouched in front of me so we were on the same eye level.

"I don't know. I probably look awful, but now I feel better." I laughed and stood up as he did.

"Jo-" I placed my finger on his lips.

"Don't say anything. It was an awful confession. And I know you don't feel anything for me since you have Emilia. The things you did to me just happened because it was an 'in the moment' thing. So thanks for listening to me." And with that I ran away, once again.

When I got home, I dialed Neal's number.

"Hello?" After the first ring he picked up.

"I'll go to semi with you." I smiled, looking at myself in the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy, the effect of crying.

"That's great! But Are you okay? You sound a little off..."

"Yeah, I just woke up from a nap."

"Oh okay. Look I gotta go now, but let's talk about it tomorrow okay?

"Okay."

In the end I just cried. Was this a bad decision? I didn't even let gab say anything...

--