Chapter 19

The jerk and I
Chapter 19:

The whole day went by smoothly after the talk I had with Neal. I was stopping at a local store to pick up some groceries my mom needed when I saw someone I didn't want to see. Or should I say people. Gab and Maddy. They were there looking at the snacks; Gab carrying a basket and Maddy beside him picking what they were going to buy. They looked like a couple. They turned around and our eyes met. Maddy's coat was open making me realize something I hadn't notice this morning. She was wearing a sweater that looked a little too tight on her making her belly swollen a... little.

No. She couldn't be pregnant right? She couldn't. Was that why she came back? Is... Is Gab the father?

Maddy must've noticed me starring at her belly because she suddenly buttoned her black coat.

"Y-You're... pregnant?" my voice came out like a whisper. She nodded slowly. I glanced at Gab, hoping he would say something like, oh i don't know, I'm not the baby's father. Something; anything. But he didn't.

"I-Is that why you came back? Because... Cause Gab's the father of your baby?"

No reply. I took that as a yes and ran out of the store. My eyes were blurried by my tears that had fallen out. I fell onto my knees as I cried, not caring if people were watching me. I heard someone huff behind me.

"I'm... I'm not the father." I whipped my head to the side to find Gab behind.

"What?" I got up on my feet, facing him.

"You heard me. I am not the father of Maddy's child." I stare at him in confusion.

"B-But you didn't deny it."

"That's because you don't wait for me to explain or do anything about it!" he shouted in fustration. Some people's eyes were on us, but they kept walking away.

"I'm-I'm sorry. I'm sorry for before too," I started sobbing, "I should've listened to you and let you explain, like today."

He sighed, rubbing his temples before taking a step and hugging me.

"Don't be. It's my fault too. None of this would've happened if I didn't kiss Emilia," he whispered. It felt like eternity as we stood on the street hugging each other as I quietly sobbed in his chest.

"Now, should we get some coffee? I'll explain everything." I nodded and we headed to the little Tim's which was located a street away.

When we got there, he went to order some coffee as I went to sit in a booth. He came back with our coffees and sat in front of me. He took a deep breath and started explaining. Everything.

~~
"Do you understand now?" I nodded. It felt like hours went by as he explained his situation to me. Now that I knew what really happened, I really felt like I was a naive little girl.

"I'm so sorry for not listening to your explanation. I'm really sorry."

"It's fine."

There was a moment of silent before I spoke up.

"So what now? What's going to happen to Maddy?"

"She's gonna have to go back to her family. I mean, she can't hide with me for a long time you know. She'll eventually have to tell her parents."

I nodded. Gosh, I felt bad for her. Sleeping with someone that wasn't her boyfriend and on top of that getting pregnant. Man, this felt like something I would read.

"Joelle?"

"Yeah," I stare at him in his eyes;these brown with hints of green eyes.

"Will you give me a chance and take you on a proper date, friday night?" he asked. Yes!