A Night to Remember

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Happy New Year!" The entire ballroom busted with laughter and cheers as the new year began. I however stayed over at the bar taking my shots of tequila realizing that I'm spending another new year alone. My phone lit up as I was being paged 911 to the E.R. for an emergency consult.

"Happy freaking New Years," I mumbled underneath my breath. I slipped a twenty to the bar tender and picked up my clutch making my way towards the elevator. The glass doors slid open and I stepped in. As the doors were closing a hand snuck between them and jolted them apart.

"Oww!" a masculine voice said. I looked up from my phone realizing that I needed to be at the hospital ASAP. The doors opened revealing a dapper man dressed in a skin tight suit with a black bow tie around the neck.

"You know your hand isn't supposed to go there," I said looking back down at my phone whenever he stepped onto the elevator.

"One of my talents is putting my hand where it doesn't belong," the gentlemen said. I giggled at his idiotic comment.

"Are you now?" I asked looking up staring at his face. He was about 5'11 if I had to guess. His hair looked so smooth, the kind that you could run your hand through all day and never find a knot in it.

"I'm Derek," he said while sticking his hand out for me to shake.

"Meredith," I responded. The longer I stared at him the more I sank into his piercing blue eyes. I swear I could get lost in them for days.

"Ahh, see now this is a place where my hand would like to belong," he said with a subtle smile. I slowly pulled my hand away turning towards the elevator doors wondering whenever this awkward ride would be over. "You know I couldn't help but notice that you were by yourself this evening. Tequila shots aren't fun if you do them alone. A beautiful woman like you should be taking shots with a man like me," he butted in.

"You're quite fond of yourself aren't you?" I said while laughing. He was so self centered yet so charming.

"May I ask why you're leaving so early?" he questioned.

"You can ask but you won't get an answer," I said while stepping off of the elevator and heading to the revolving doors outside of the hotel.

"Sassy, I find that charming you know," Derek said as he grabbed my arm and spun me around so I would be facing him. "Give me something more than a first name. Maybe a last name, address?"

"How about a goodbye," I stated whenever he let go of my arm. "I must really get going, people are counting on me." I picked up the bottom of my lace, black gown and headed outside where a taxi was waiting for me. I quickly jumped into the taxi hoping to get out of this place.

"Meredith, when can I see you again?" Derek questioned.

"I don't know, but maybe your hand can find somewhere it shouldn't be and we'll meet up again," I answered sarcastically. On that note Derek shut the door and stood on the sidewalk watching my taxi drive away.

"Where to Miss?" the portly me yelled back at me.

"Seattle Grace Hospital please, and drop me off at the ambulance bay," I responded. I stared out of the window mentally preparing myself for about the trauma I was to face this evening, and coming to the conclusion that that was one of the most awkward elevators of my life.