The Great Divide

"I don't want to get up," I said as I pulled a blanket over my head as I attempted to block out the sunlight that was shining already this morning.

"Mer, you have to get up. The new interns are coming today and you have to be there to be introduced," Derek said softly into my ear. He pulled the blanket off from over my head and kissed me softly on the lips.

"Exactly why I don't want to go," I explained. "I hate interns, especially this years."

"Mer, you haven't even met them yet," Derek said while letting out a small chuckle. "C'mon, or else we're going to be late."

"Well I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying here in my cozy bed, where no one can force me,to do anything" I said stubbornly while sitting up and crossing my arms. Derek pushed himself up off the pillow and hovered over my body.

"Let me see if I can come up with list of things that I can force you to do," he said with a grin before he kissed my lips passionately and began taking off my shirt.

***

"Shepherd, you're late for you're own meeting," Mark said as Derek walked up onto the stage.

"Ask the one next to you why we're late," he said giving me a small glare as I looked back up at him and smiled.

"When are you two ever going to learn to keep your hands off of each other? It really is disgusting," Mark said while looking over at me.

"Says the one who can't wait to get his hands all over the new interns," I snapped back at him as he sat there with a grin on his face.

"Shep, you sure have a feisty one on your hands," he told Derek who stood in front of us reading over his speech in his head one last time.

"Ha, don't I know it," he said before leaning down and giving me a peck on the lips for good luck. He turned around and headed for the podium in front of us. Damn his ass sure looked good.

"Grey, stop looking at your husband's ass before your eye lasers burn a hole through it," Mark whispered over to me while trying to hold in his laughter. I slapped him on the shoulder and he quickly stopped with the giggling. Derek looked back at me one more time before he started and I gave him an encouraging smile.

"Good morning," Derek said. The crowd immediately hushed and focused all of their attention to him. "First off I would like to thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to come here today. The month of July has come around once more, which only means...new interns." At the word, intern, everyone in the audience groaned, except for the eager interns sitting in the middle section. "I know, I know," Derek continued, "new interns means new people running throughout the hospital trying to steal your surgeries. But remember, they are the fresh minds of modern medicine. They have the talent to be here, so please welcome them with open arms and open minds."

"You're husband is trying to force me to like the idiots," Cristina whispered to me. "Not going to happen." I sat there and let out a small laugh trying to not disrupt Derek's speech.

"Now at this time I'm going to introduce you to the departments heads. These people who you see sitting up here behind me are the very best in the hospital, and even for some, in the nation. So whenever I introduce you, please stand up so everyone can see who you are," Derek instructed.

"Do you realize how lucky you are with your husband being the Chief?" Cristina asked quietly. "You barely have to teach the idiots!" I shook my head at her comment and just stared straight ahead, knowing that what she said was the truth.

"Dr. Alex Karev, Chief of Pediatrics, Dr. Arizona Robbins, Head of Neonatal and Fetal Medicine. Dr. Calliope Torres, Head of Orthopedics, Dr. Owen Hunt, Head of Trauma, Dr. Cristina Yang, Head of Cardiothoracic, Dr. Meredith Grey, Head of General, Dr. Mark Sloan, Chief of Plastics, and I'm Dr. Derek Shepherd, Chief of Surgery and Head of Neurology. Take a look up here people, these are your mentors now. Learn from them," Derek said. Finally he made some closing comments and dismissed everyone and allowed for the new interns to come up and meet us personally.