The Unexpected is Coming

"Are you sure you can't make it?" I asked Derek while walking out of the bathroom of the staff lounge in the hospital. I had just put on my maroon, silk, tight fitting gown, and just applied another layer of mascara. "You know the hospital only throws the New Years Eve gala once a year."

"I know, I wish I could make it, but the only time my patient could get in to have his tumor removed was today at 7:00. There's no way I'm going to be able to make it," Derek said before shutting the refrigerator door. He turned and stared at me, studying my figure. "On second thought maybe I should come to make sure nobody tries to hit on you." 

"Does it honestly look okay? I wasn't for sure about the whole maroon color, but Cristina said it looked fine," I said. The way Derek was looking at me told me that I looked more than fine in the dress. 

"You look gorgeous," he said before coming over to kiss me on the cheek. "The least I can do is walk you down to the car." He took my hand and led me to the main staircase in the middle of the hospital. I wrapped my arm around his as he led me down the stairs. Many of the interns and nurses stared and whispered. We walked out of the hospital to my car. 

"One last chance to come with me," I said before opening up the door.

"I think if I would join you right now, we would never make it to the gala," Derek said and then winked at me. I blushed and hit him on the shoulder. We both laughed before he silenced the both of us whenever he pecked my lips. "I'll see you later. Love you."

"Love you too," I said as I was opening up the car door. I waved before backing out of my parking spot, and headed out to the gala.

Derek's POV

I watched Meredith leave the parking lot. Once she was out of sight I reached into my lab coat pocket to find the engagement ring box still in there. I turned around and made my way back into the hospital. 

"Did she leave?" Mark asked as I was back into the hospital.

"Yep, she's on her way, and she doesn't suspect a thing," I said while laughing. Mark put his hand on my shoulder.

"You know, I always knew you were gonna be the one who got engaged first," he said while we continued to walk. 

"You know, I figured that she would have gone down to the O.R. board to see if I actually had surgery scheduled, and she didn't, thank God," I said. "Do you think she's gonna be surprised?"

"Well considering that she didn't seem to expect anything, I'm gonna have to say that you're on the right track," Mark joked. We made small talk on the way to the staff lounge. I put my street clothes back on. 

"Well, this is the last time you're gonna be seeing me as a man who isn't engaged," I commented before leaving.

"We only hope it's the last," Mark joked. "Text me how it goes. Good luck man." I thanked Mark and made my way down to my car. I looked down at my watch to see that it was already 7:45 and that I needed to get home fast so I could get back home and put my tux on, which had been hiding in the guest bedroom closet for almost three weeks. 

Traffic was awful on the way home. A fifteen minute drive took me nearly forty-five. I was already running late and this put me back even farther. I quickly went inside and took a quick shower. I shaved, re-brushed my teeth, put on my tux, and put on a new layer of cologne. Luckily for my sake, I ran to get the dozen of roses over my lunch break, although Meredith thought I was removing a aneurysm. They were waiting on the dining room table for whenever we returned home for the night, along with the bottle of champagne in the fridge. I looked down at my watch and saw that it was nearing 11:00. It took 30 minutes to get to the gala. It was just enough time.

Meredith's POV

"Happy New Year!" the entire ballroom exploded with laughter and excitement as the clock struck midnight. I however was in the same place as I was last year, the same seat, the same bar, the same bartender, and the same drink choice, tequila shots with lime. 

"Weren't you here last year?" the bartender asked me.

"Yes, yes I was," I said. "Why?"

"Well, not to make this sound creepy or anything, but you are probably the hottest girl here tonight, and you're once again sitting alone, drinking tequila shots, while there is a room over there full of your colleagues, mind you, many are probably single," he said.

"Oh, my boyfriend had to work tonight, or else, trust me, I wouldn't be sitting alone at this bar," I said. The bartender nodded and smiled and walked over to the guest that just approached the bar. It had been a long day so I decided to leave. I left a $20 bill for the bartender and picked up my clutch and headed towards the elevator. I was looking through the pictures on my phone whenever the elevator opened. 

"Hey," a familiar voice said causing me to look up from my phone screen. I felt a smile stretch across my face.

"Hey what are you doing here? I thought you were in a surgery," I told Derek while I entered the elevator. 

"Yeah, well it ran short," Derek said. 

"Well what are you doing here? I told you could just meet me at home. And why are you in a tux?" I asked. Derek leaned over and pushed in the emergency stop button in the elevator.

"I'm doing something I should have done a long time ago," he said while facing me.

"Okay?" I said in a confused tone.

"You know it's pretty insane to think that we were in this same elevator only a year ago. And to think how far along we've come, makes me the happiest guy in the world," he started off. "Except I never really expected the love of my life to be my doctor at the hospital the next morning." I laughed and he continued on. "The first time I saw you in that lace black dress, my mind instantly told me that you were the one I had been looking for. Then you were all rude to me and then I thought, oh yes, she's the one. I've been through hell and back with you, and it's only been a year, and I can't imagine going through hell again, with anyone else, but you. You've shown me what true love is actually about, and you made  me a better man for it. No matter how many times you're going to try to push me away, I want to be there to be waiting on the other side for you. I'm not going to get down on me knee. I love you Meredith Grey, and I want to spend every second of the life that I have left with you." Derek pulled the ring out of his pocket. The huge diamond in the middle stunned me, it was absolutely beautiful.

"And I want to spend every second of my life with you," I responded with a smile. Derek flashed me a McDreamy smile, and before I knew it my arms were already wrapped around his neck. There we were, standing in the same elevator that we were in last year. Except this time, Derek wasn't the annoying guy in the elevator. He's my soon to be husband.