Here Comes the Boom

"Derek, stop!" Meredith squealed as I poked her pressure point. She squirmed like a little kid sitting in the car for too long.

"Make me," I said back only poking her in the side multiple times. Her laugh lit up the room in the dark morning. I climbed on top over and pinned her hands above her head and kissed her on the lips. She responded puckering her lips as well. She freed one of her hands and began stroking my hair. I slowly lowered myself onto her and we flipped. She laid on top of me as I began rubbing her back. 

"Do we have to go to work today? It's so rainy outside and cold," she said before kissing my neck.

"Well I wouldn't mind staying in bed all day with you," I responded. We were interrupted by the beeping of Mer's pager. She groaned and got out of bed to go retrieve it. 

"Ah happy new year, Derek," she said coming back over to the bed and pecking me on the lips. Her makeup was still prevalent from the gala the night before. I followed her with my eyes all the way to the bathroom, before she shut the door to take a shower.

***

This morning was all I could think about as I stood there watching the paramedics extract Meredith from the car. They already took away the person who hit Meredith to the hospital. They got the drivers side door off of Meredith's car and cut off her seatbelt. I looked into the car from an angle while the rain pelted me in the face. She looked lifeless, her face pale, her lips turning a light shade of blue. They carefully pulled her out of the car and put her on a gurney. The paramedics were blocking my full view of her so I wouldn't be able to see the extent of the injuries. 

"Her vital are weak, her blood pressure is tanking and her heart rate is low. We need to get her to Seattle Grace now!" the head paramedic yelled. One paramedic who recognized me looked back and told the others that he would be there in a second. 

"Dr. Shepherd we didn't mean for you to hear all of that," he said. I stood there in the pouring rain trying to form words, but I simply couldn't. "We're taking her to Seattle Grace, and you can follow behind. Put on your caution lights and keep up. We already called it into the police station." The head paramedic yelled for him to get into the rig and he left. I ran to my car and started the engine. I turned the flashers on and followed the ambulance as it sped off. A million things were running through my head. I saw the Meredith's head was bleeding, probably indicating something bigger inside the brain. The worst case scenarios were all I could think about.

We made it to the hospital in less than five minutes. Cristina, Mark, Dr. Bailey, Dr. Webber, Alex, and almost every other doctor was waiting in the bay with stunned looks on their faces. I didn't know if they knew it was Meredith or not. I jumped out of my car and headed towards them. They looked at me with confusion.

"Derek what are you doing? You're soaked," Dr. Webber said. They had no clue it was Meredith.

"It's Meredith," I said as all of there faces became flushed. The silence grew and the only sound to be heard was the ambulance doors opening behind me. 

"Derek are you..." Dr. Bailey trailed off. Men don't cry, but I was about to let loose. I sniffled and took a deep breath.

"I'm fine but she isn't. She has to be okay," I said. 

"We're going to do every thing we can," Cristina said grabbing me by the shoulder. I nodded back at her and all of them began making their way towards the ambulance. My mind was still spinning and the rain began to fall harder. Meredith's gurney was pushed right beside me. I caught glimpse of her lifeless face. Tubes upon tubes were sticking out of her. A nurse came out to get me and handed me a pair of scrubs. I sat at the nurses station biting my nails, which I only did whenever I was nervous. I heard Cristina yelling at the others, she was leading the pack. The curtain slid open and I stood up. Meredith looked beaten and torn. They pushed her towards the elevator and Cristina came towards me while tying her scrub cap.