A Storm is Brewing

***This part takes place 6 months post Meredith and Derek's wedding.***

"You did what?!" I yelled at Derek as he sat behind his desk. 

"Meredith, I don't know how many times I have to tell you," he said back while avoiding eye contact.

"No, I heard you loud and clear the first time, I just want to make sure that I heard correctly whenever you said you hired Lexie Grey?" I said while slamming my hands down on his desk.

"As Chief of this hospital you know I have to hire the best candidates for our residency program and I would've been an idiot not to take her under our wing!" he yelled at me.

"Oh yeah I forgot," I said sarcastically. "Chief Shepherd has to do everything in his power to make this the best teaching hospital in the country. Yeah my bad. My Alzheimer's genes must be kicking in. God forbid he would want his wife to enjoy coming to work!"

"Meredith this decision was strictly professional! I'm sorry but you can't tell me how to do my job because," he sad before he started to drift off and didn't finish his sentence.

"Because you outrank me?" I said as I filled in his sentence for him. "You know what, you're an ass." I immediately turned on my heels and walked out of his office not wanting to hear what else he had to say. I slammed the door behind me making heads turn as I stormed across the cat walk.

"Meredith wait," I heard Derek yell after me, but I kept walking anyway not looking back.

"Shit man, what did you do to piss of the wife?" Mark said as Derek shook his head in disbelief. 

"I hired her step sister as an intern and she's mad at me because she's finally going to open up about her daddy issues and face them head on," Derek replied. Mark gave him a puzzled look. "Oh don't give me that look. She was at the top of her class at Harvard and had 20 letters of recommendation! I would be a fool not to accept her."

"As a colleague, you definitely made the right choice, Shep," Mark said. "But as your best friend, I think you just made a huge mistake. I know it comes with the job as Chief, but don't you still have to think of your employees best interest when hiring new people. Especially think of how it will affect your wife, because Derek, that's who you have to go home to." With that Mark left Derek standing there all alone on the cat walk questioning himself as to whether he made the wrong decision.

***

"Dr. Johnson I'm tagging you out," I said as I walked furiously into the O.R. while drying my hands.

"I'm sorry Dr. Grey but I'm elbow deep into this guy's abdomen and you want to take over?" he asked me.

"Did I stutter?" I asked as my eyes shot daggers. The fifth year resident mumbled underneath his mask and angrily walked out of the room.

"What the hell got into you?" Cristina asked as she finished up a stitch. 

"McDreamy is the problem," I responded while beginning to repair my patient's liver.

"Woah, you're calling your husband McDreamy? What did he do to make you this pissed off?" she asked me in a worried tone.

"He hired my step sister for this year's intern class, that's what he did to piss me off!" I snapped at her. 

"No freaking way!" she said. "He hired your daddy's love child with his new wife? Who the hell do you think he is?"

"That's what I'm saying," I told her. "He knew it would make me mad, which is why he told me before she just came here and appeared in my life without warning, yet for some reason, that only makes me even angrier."