Where We Stand

"Here it comes," I said as I grabbed the sides of the toilet. I was hurling for the third in the past two hours. Derek was sitting behind me holding my hair back and trying to comfort me in this time of need.

"Do you need me to get you anything? A wash cloth? A mint?" he asked. I elbowed him in his stomach and he began to laugh.

"Shut up," I said back. "If this is what pregnancy is, they should call it hell."

"You don't even know if you're pregnant," Derek said. It had been six weeks since that episode had happened. Derek and I had pushed back the whole finding out thing for awhile now. It obviously had to be taken care of, but we were both to scared to find out.

"I had my blood drawn and sent to the lab before I left yesterday," I said quietly as I rested myself up against the wall.

"Ahh, so that's why you were home later than usual," Derek said with a smile while he pushed my hair off of my face. 

"I just figured that we should know," I said.

"I agree," he answered. He stood up and stuck his hand out to me. I grabbed it and we made our way to the bed. "Are you actually going to sleep now, or do you think you're going to hurl some more?"

"I think I'm good," I said. Derek crawled into bed behind me and put his arm over my side. We laid there for about five minutes until I felt the reflux in my throat again. "Nope, I'm not good!" I said before making a mad dash into the bathroom. Derek let out a long sigh and made his way into the bathroom shortly after I was in there.

***

"Well you're glowing this morning," Derek said as I walked into the kitchen after the night from hell. "I made a fresh pot of coffee if you want some, and there's some freshly squeezed orange juice in the fridge."

"Well aren't you Mr. Nice Guy," I said before leaning in for a quick kiss.

"You seem to be feeling better this morning. I must say, you do look a lot better whenever there isn't vomit in your hair," Derek said with a giggle. I turned around and smirked at him. He picked up the newspaper and began reading it. A few minutes later my pager went off.

"Damn it," I said. "It's not even 7:30 and I'm getting paged 911. It's gonna be a long day."

"Yes, but after your long day you get to come home and see me," Derek said. I smiled at his corny personality. I took my coffee to go. Before leaving Derek grabbed my arm and kissed me. It was a long kiss that only deepened whenever he opened his mouth and allowed my tongue to enter it. My pager buzzed again.

"Keep it up, and maybe you'll get lucky tonight," I said. I winked at him and made my way out of the house.

After getting to the hospital I didn't have time to go to the E.R. to assess the patient. I went straight into the operating room where I was taken up to speed about the patient. Starting off your day with trauma is definitely not an easy thing to do. My patient was impaled with a large piece of wood through the abdomen. It didn't go all the way through, but it was another difficult surgery. My pager buzzed about halfway through the surgery.

"Dr. Grey, the lab said the blood work on the John Doe you ran last night is ready to be picked up," the nurse said.

"Okay, tell them I can pick it up after I'm finished here," I responded. I continued on with the surgery and successfully repaired the liver and large intestine. I sent the patient to post-op and scrubbed out. 

"Hey," Cristina said whenever I walked out of the scrub room. "Jeez I never see you anymore."

"I know right? My schedule has been so hectic with this fellowship and I assume that yours is crazy with you running the cardio wing," I said. Honestly, I've never felt so detached from my 'twisted sister'.