One Step Forward

"Alright Grey, you're set," Dr. Bailey told me. She helped me sit up in the hospital bed and I swung my feet off to the side. "But before you go, I need to make sure you take your medicine." She extended her arm and hand towards me, depositing the medicine in my right hand while I had a glass of water in the other. I put all three pills in my mouth at once and swallowed with a large sip of water.

"Are you sure I'm ready?" I asked worriedly.

"You're three weeks post-op from your initial surgery and two weeks post-op from your other surgery to remove the rest of the mets that popped up. Your scans this morning show no new signs of any more mets yet. You're scheduled to come back here for another scan and another round of chemo and radiation. Your labs looked very good this morning. You and your boyfriend are doctors, so if any symptoms arise, you know to come in. You're ready," she finished with a smile. "Go home and lay in the comfort of your own home. And don't be calling me everyday to find out how your patients are doing because you know I'm doing a fine job." I laughed at her cockiness.

"Well on that note, Derek went to bring the car up front, and then he's bringing my head wrap up as well, then I will be on my way," I told her. She looked at me and cocked her head.

"Grey, you don't need your head wrap. You look fine without it," Dr. Bailey said sternly. Everyone who treated me thus far knows about my insecurity with my baldness due to the chemo and radiation. The last part of my hair fell out last week.

"That's what Derek always says. I don't know, I guess I'm just insecure, which I have a right to be," I noted. Dr. Bailey shook her head. Derek then walked in with a smile on his face and my head wrap in his hand.

"Your bags are in the car, and here is your head wrap as you requested," he greeted with a smile. 

"Thank you," I responded. He knelt down before me and put it on my head just as he had been doing for the past couple days. When he was finished he leaned in for a quick kiss on the lips before Bailey and himself helped me into the wheelchair. Although I had been discharged I was still a little weak from the chemo that was administrated a few days prior. Derek wheeled me down the hallway and into the elevator with Bailey ride beside me the entire time.

"Derek make sure she takes her medicine regularly," Bailey ordered.

"Oh trust me, I've been told not to hover, but I already know I will. I have set reminders on my phone every day at the exact time the medicine needs to be taken," Derek responded with a smile. 

"You two are crazy," I said while the elevator doors opened. Upon the doors opening, most of the staff lined the hallway and stood before me, applauding with large smiles across all of their faces. My hand traveled up to my mouth in shock. I looked up at Derek knowing that this was all his idea. He leaned down to the point where his mouth was level with my ear.

"You put up a fight, and that needs to be taken noticed of," he whispered before kissing me on the temple. Along the hallway, I gave many thanks and shook people's hands who applauded me for making it this far.

"Well look at you," Dr. Webber said at the end of the hallway. 

"Thank you Richard," I said with a tear falling down my cheek. He leaned down so I could give him a hug. "I'll be back at work before we all know it."

"Take your time Grey, you know your spot is always going to be waiting for you," he said. I shook my head and Derek continued onward towards the car. Cristina came running after us before I got into the Porsche. 

"Hey, my transplant took a little longer than expected," she said while trying to catch her breath. "I promise to be over almost every day so we can discuss all the hospital gossip that you're missing out on." I nodded in agreement and gave her a quick hug. I waved out the window as Derek drove off in the direction of my house. The entire car ride was overall pretty silent, but never once did he let go of my hand.