Maybe Stronger Than Before

Derek's POV

"You're letting her drive here by herself?" Cristina asked me. "Do you not remember what happened the last time she was driving in her car by herself 3 months ago?"

"She insisted on it. She's been kept up ever since we got home 3 months ago, and in those 3 months I have realized that it's easier for her to get what she wants than me fight her for it," I responded. "She's happy to come back, she's excited, so please be excited for her."

"Trust me, having to eat lunch alone for the past 3 months has been torture for me. I'm more than ready for my person to be back in action," Cristina said. My phone dinged just as she finished her sentence.

"Okay, she made it," I said letting out a large sigh. "Just don't say anything to her about her right hand function. She still has trouble grabbing some things here and there. Be polite." Cristina rolled her eyes and nodded in agreement. I quickly grabbed Meredith's cup of coffee I had already gotten for her and walked down to the lobby. I hadn't seen Meredith yet today since I was called in for an early surgery. 

The automatic doors opened up and in walked the love of my life. The engagement ring which she hardly wears sat upon her finger and shimmered as the sun hit it. Her hair so lightly curled bounced as she wore her new pair of heels with her black skinny jeans and beige button up shirt. She slowly pushed her sunglasses up upon her head and we made eye contact. Smiles crept across both of our faces and  I walked towards her.

"Good morning gorgeous," I said as I walked towards her and kissed her on the cheek. "Coming back better than ever I see."

"Ahh, a coffee just the way I like it," she said after taking a sip from the cup, "and this is why I'm marrying you." She pecked me on the lips and we began to walk. "My schedule is pretty light today if you want to get lunch."

"Normally I would say of course, but I know a secret someone has been missing you a ton," I said as I slightly pointed my finger towards Cristina who was standing by the nurses station staring at us. She quickly looked away once we looked over. 

"And this is another reason why I'm going to marry you," she said after letting go of my hand. "Meet me at physical therapy in 10 minutes?" I nodded my head in agreement and she walked over to her person. I stood there and watched her, realizing that Meredith is back to normal.

Meredith's POV

"Meredith Grey as I live and breathe," Cristina said as I walked towards her. She opened her arms and hugged me, something that we never do, but in this instance, it was definitely needed.

"I've missed you," I told her as we pulled away from the hug. "Have you been keeping the interns in line for me? I'm so disappointed I missed their first day last month. Derek said they were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off."

"Let's see here, I've already told two of them to never come back until they learn to become an actual doctor. And I've made one of them cry, so life has been pretty good," she said sarcastically. 

"Wanna get lunch today? I've been stalking your schedule while I've been sitting at my house and I saw that you had nothing scheduled until 2:00," I said while smiling. 

"Lunch sounds great," she answered right before her pager went off. "It's nice for you to be back, Mer."

After Cristina ran off I walked down to physical therapy receiving many "Welcome back, Dr. Grey" and "So glad to see you Meredith". As I approached the therapy doors, I saw Derek already standing there on his phone. As he heard my footsteps come down the hall, he looked up and smiled again.