Here's to the Memories

"Smile," Derek said as we walked hand and hand into the hospital. We made our through the empty lobby and into the elevator. "It's your first day back at work and your cancer free," he whispered into my ear while kissing my temple.

"Remission is not cancer free forever. I'm just cancer free for now," I said with a slight smile. The scan two days ago revealed no new mets which meant no chemotherapy. "And besides, I'm not the same person I was whenever I left. I'm pale, I'm bald, and I lost about 10 pounds. I look unkept."

"Well you're the cutest unkept person I've ever laid my eyes on," Derek said, forcing a smile to creep across my face. The elevator doors opened to the second level where the attending's lounge was. 

"SURPRISE!" everyone said as Derek and I walked in. All of the attendings were there along with the Chief.

"I promise I had nothing to do with this," Derek said in awe. I stood there mesmerized by all the familiar faces that welcomed me back to the hospital. There was a breakfast buffet to my left and and cupcakes to my right.

"You guys didn't have to do this," I said still in shock.

"Well it isn't every day that someone we know comes back after beating liver cancer," Dr. Bailey said. Everyone came over and gave me their congratulations and welcomed me back. Many had to leave right away due to morning cases, but many stayed to enjoy a small breakfast before starting their long day. 

"Dr. Grey," Dr. Robbins said while tapping me on the shoulder, "I have a kid on the peds floor who said they're having stomach pain. I have a emergency surgery to get to, would you mind checking her out?"

"Sure thing," I said. I picked up my white coat and put it on. I kissed Derek on the cheek and told him that we could meet up later for lunch. I made my way up the peds floor being welcomed back by herds of nurses, interns, and residents. It felt good to be back at my home away from home. 

"Welcome back, Dr. Grey," a nurse said while handing me a tablet which encased the patients chart.

"Thank you," I responded before turning around and heading into the patients room. Waiting for me sat a petite little girl who was 7 years old. Her face was pale, and her parents were worried. "Hi, I'm Dr. Grey," I said to the parents and the little girl. "And you must be Sarah." The little girl nodded her head.

"This morning she woke up with stomach pain so badly that she couldn't even walk. Do you think that it could be something major?" the mother asked.

"After we run some tests, I'll be sure to let you know. But it's good that you brought her in when you did. Her color does worry me a little bit, but she's already started on antibiotics," I answered. I turned to face Sarah. "Do you mind if I press on your tummy?"

"Go ahead," she said. "But first I have a question."

"And what would that be?" I said back.

"Why are you wearing a scarf around your head? Don't you normally wear those around your neck?" she asked. Her parents blushed with embarrassment but I didn't mind.

"You see Sarah, I was really sick about a month and a half ago. And to get me feeling better, I had to get medicine that helped me, but it made my hair fall out. See?" I said while taking off the scarf. "But the good thing is my hair is already growing back."

"Am I going to get the medicine that makes my hair fall out?" she asked.

"I don't think so," I reassured her. I stepped off to the side of her bed. I pushed on the bottom of her stomach. It was indeed rigid. I paged a nurse to bring in an ultrasound machine which arrived in a couple of seconds. "Okay Sarah, this gel is going to be a little chilly but it's going to help me figure out what's wrong with you." I placed the gel on her stomach and moved the doppler around. "Aha, there it is."

"What is it?" her parents asked in unison.

"There's a small tear in her small intestine, which can happen whenever someone falls on the playground. It's rare, but it happens," I said. "She is going to need surgery, but I've done so many of these I could do them in my sleep."

"Can you fix it?" Sarah asked.

"Luckily for you, I'm the best doctor in my class, so I'll be able to fix your belly in no time. And this gives you a good excuse for your parents to feed you ice cream for the next week. The nurses will be in soon to prep you for your surgery, and I'll see you in the operating room in about a half an hour." I walked out of the room only to be greeted by Derek.

"Hey you," he said looking up from his tablet and giving me a kiss on the cheek. 

"Hey what brought you to the peds floor?" I asked.

"Some kid had a headache and his parents insisted that a neuro specialist came to check him out. Turns out it's nothing," he said while rolling his eyes.

"Well my kid has a tear in her intestine. I know I shouldn't be happy about it but," I said.

"You have a right to be excited to be doing what you love again," he responded. "Oh your scarf is a little crooked. Let me fix it." He adjusted the scarf so it was straight. "We haven't had an O.R. date in awhile? What do ya say?"

"Is this you wanting to spend time with me or a way to hover over me but not actually hovering?" I asked.

"Anytime I can spend with you is well worth it," he said. We made our way down to the O.R. where Sarah was already prepped and ready to go. I took off my head scarf and replaced it with my scrub cap. After scrubbing in I went over to the already prepared abdomen. Before requesting the scalpel the O.R. erupted in a slow clap.

"Thank you everyone," I said while smirking behind my mask. I looked behind at Derek who started the clap and he had a twinkle in his eye. I made the first cut and everything came flooding back. My hands flowed throughout the abdomen and did everything freely. I fixed the tear with ease and was done within an hour and a half. 

"It's so good to have you back," Derek said into my ear while I was scrubbing out. His warm breath sent a chill down my spine. "You were amazing in there."

"Thank you," I said turning around and wrapped my arms around his waist. He pulled me in for a kiss that seemed to last longer than usual. After pulling away I went to update the family who was relieved that their little girl was okay. It was already 2:00 in the afternoon so Derek and I went to grab something quick for lunch since he had a surgery in 30 minutes. The rest of the day was easy for me. I checked on some of my older patients and finished filling out all of my paper work. Derek was still in surgery when I was finished with everything, so I went to watch Derek from the gallery. Eager interns filled the seats as they talked amongst themselves. Derek was a God with the scalpel and there was no denying it. After his surgery was over we both went to change out of our scrubs only to be met by the Chief.

"Meredith, just the person I was looking for," he said.

"What can I do for you Sir?" I asked.

"I came here to tell you in person rather than through an e-mail. The board and I convened today and we all agreed that you're the best candidate for the general surgeon attending position," he said with a smile.

"Oh, uh, uhm, thank you Sir!" I said with excitement.

"You start tomorrow, don't let me down Grey," he said before leaving. I turned to Derek who was smiling from ear to ear.

"Congratulations!" he said before picking me up and spinning me around. "Meredith this is so great!"

"I mean I didn't even think I was in the running for it anymore since the whole cancer situation!" I said. Derek leaned down and kissed me on the lips. He pulled away and was still smiling from ear to ear. 

"Here's to new memories and a new start," he said before he kissed me on the cheek again. With that we left the lounge and made our way down the stairs to the lobby and then out to the car. And for the first time in a long time, we both left the hospital as the happy Meredith and Derek that we used to be.