Storm Warning

"You did what?!" I yelled at Derek from across the kitchen.

"I told my mom to come to Seattle for the weekend. She's been dying to meet you, Mer, and I want her to meet you," Derek said back to me.

"Derek, I still look all cancery and gross, and you want your mother to come meet me?" I asked.

"Mer you can't even tell you had cancer. Your hair is to your shoulders, your skin tone is back to normal, you look beautiful," he answered. "Take it as a compliment that I want my mother to meet you. She keeps bugging me about when she's going to get to meet the girl I have been with for 10 months." Had it already been ten months?

"Well when is she coming in?" I asked in a stubborn tone.

"Tomorrow morning around 9:00. I told her I would pick her up at the airport," he responded while walking over to me at the table.

"I'll clear my schedule tomorrow morning and afternoon, but I'm not promising you anything during the night," I said while turning my head away from him.

"Thank you," he said while kissing me on top of my head. I looked at my phone noticing that it was already 11:30. I stood up to make my way to the bedroom before Derek grabbed onto my arms and pulled me in close. His scent was so comforting. "Lavender," he said with a smile.

"Oh shut up," I said while giggling and slapping his stomach. He lifted my chin to the point where my lips met his. I couldn't remember the last time we were actually going to bed together. 

"C'mon, let's go to bed," Derek said groggily while rubbing his eyes. We both made our way upstairs and both instantly fell asleep as our heads hit the pillows.

***

"She said she was coming out by exit 98," Derek said while looking up from his phone. I was never good with mothers and needless to say, I was freaking out.

"What if she doesn't like me?" I blurted. "What if she thinks I'm some awful stick in the mud?"

"She's not gonna think that," Derek said back in a soothing tone. "Ma normally likes anyone that I like. You're smart, you're a doctor, you're beautiful, you're funny. You have nothing to worry about." Just about that time a woman with the same facial features as Derek walked out of the exit terminal. She had snow white, pointy hair, and piercing blue eyes. 

"Ma!" Derek yelled while walking towards his mother. I followed behind. 

"Hello sweetheart," she said while leaning in for a hug. "You look thin. Have you been eating?

"Yes, Ma," Derek said while laughing. "Ma, this is Meredith. Meredith, Ma." I stood there smiling acting like I was happy to see her, but on the inside, I was freaking the heck out.

"Nice to meet you, Meredith," Carolyn Shepherd said while shaking my hand.

"All the same to you, Mrs. Shepherd," I responded.

"Please, call me Carolyn," she answered. Derek picked up her bags and we made our way towards the car. Derek and Carolyn caught up with each other while I walked with my arm around Derek's. We reached the car and Derek went to put his mother's luggage in the trunk.

"Oh you can have the front," I told Carolyn.

"No dear, I'm perfectly fine in the back," she said with a smile. We both got in the car and Derek did the same a few moments later. As we embarked on our journey home, Derek and I held hands on the console as we do every time we ride in the car. Derek and Carolyn continued to catch up and I sat staring out the window until I was asked a question.