Chapter 12

When Eda went downstairs the next morning, Serkan wasn't there. He was nowhere to find in the apartment. His car keys were still on the stand, so he must have gone for a walk.

Eda prepared breakfast and was finishing her coffee when she heard the door ring.

Did Serkan forget his keys? Eda rushed to open the door for him, but she froze when the person at the door wasn't Serkan.

"Good morning Eda."

"Hala?"

Ayfer entered the apartment, smirking that she managed to catch Eda alone without Serkan. She came back to Istanbul yesterday evening, and first thing in the morning, she came to watch their building. She got lucky. First, it was Melo who came off the gate and drove away in a cab, and fifteen minutes later, she was followed by Serkan. That was the moment Ayfer decided to make her move.

"I've come to you as soon I've got back to the city. I'm so happy to finally see you. I'm so sorry for what happened." Ayfer hid her smirk when she hugged her niece. This stupid girl doesn't even suspect a thing. That means Serkan didn't tell her about what happened. Wonder why?

Eda didn't feel completely comfortable. What was odd. She spent her whole life with her aunt. "I'm happy to see you too, hala. Where have you been? I heard you don't live in our home anymore."

Ayfer knew she didn't have a lot of time. Serkan could be back any minute, so she decided to act fast. "Eda, it was Serkan who drew me from our home. I was forced to sell it and move out."

Eda took one step back. "Why are you saying all these things about Serkan?" Her voice was quiet.

Ayfer saw that she hesitated. It was her chance to put more doubts in her head. "Eda, I want to protect you from him. He is a very charming man. He can make everyone fall for him. You must have seen it. And he is very smart. He knows how to read people. You must admit he had read you already, and his answers are always what you want to hear."

Ayfer was pleased to sense insecurity in Eda's demeanor. She knew she was on the right patch. Now she had to strike for Eda's other closest people. "Melo is in love with him. She didn't realize it, but she is. She won't let anyone say a bad word about him, and he knows that. He had used that on every possible occasion. And Ceren..." She sighed. "Her family is involved with his. Some things are more important than friendship in that circles. You know that yourself from our family."

Eda put her head down. Oh, that girl is so easy to manipulate.

"He is controlling and aggressive. That's the one thing that betrays his real personality. He gets mad very quickly, and I saw that many times. I saw what he did to you. Don't you feel that he seems too good to be true? It's an act."

"So, why is he with me?" Eda asked, looking at the bookshelves. It was time for Ayfer to go for the final blow.

"Why you? He has some twisted fixation about you. He followed you for your whole studies. The scholarship and internship weren't a coincidence. He knew about his family's involvement in your parents' death, and he became obsessed with it."

"How could you know that?" Eda's voice trembled.

"My mother found out. That's why she wanted to take you from his influence." Ayfer risked some half-true, although she knew that Eda hated her grandmother.

"My grandmother? I don't believe she would want to do anything good for me."

"She came without my knowledge when I was away, but she contacted me and gave me the information about what she found out about my brother. I couldn't ignore that." It looked like Eda bought this excuse as she only nodded. The girl looked defeated.