Chapter 28

"Get her out!"

The chaos broke in the room, quickly filled with shouting people. The alarms went on, but they couldn't drown out the loud, long tone coming from the heart monitor. Eda felt someone was trying to pull her from Serkan. She jerked her arm to free herself and grasped his hand tight. He was warm, pale but warm. It couldn't be true. Eda looked at the monitor, which still showed a flat line. It must not work properly. It was faulty and now broken. Eda felt hands on her again, pulling her with more force. She braced herself to resist them.

"No! I will not leave him!" Eda protested, holding Serkan's hand. She looked at him. He was lying still, keeping his eyes closed. He must open his eyes.

"Serkan, open your eyes. Please, baby, do it for me." She pleaded with him. He has to listen to her. He promised.

Even more people entered the room, running around and rolling the defibrillator to Serkan's bed. Someone pulled her with so much force that she unwillingly lost her grip on Serkan's hand.

"Get her out of the room now!!"

Eda couldn't control her body. Someone was dragging her away from Serkan's side, and she could only watch as a nurse opened his shirt. One doctor started chest compressing immediately, and another already was holding the defibrillator paddles and putting them on Serkan.

"We are losing him! On my word. One, two, three. Load!"

Eda saw how Serkan's body jerked after the electric shock. The line on the monitor jumped and flattened again as Serkan was lying still, and the doctor continued chest compression.

"Again! One, two, three. Now! One, two. Three..."

Eda was pushed out of the door, and someone slammed it behind her. She could see anything anymore. She slid on the wall and sat on the floor, putting her head between her knees, and silent cries shook her body.

"Serkan, please fight. Come back to me. You have to come back to me. You promised."

* * *

Serkan saw the same bright light that blinded him before. He couldn't feel anything except coldness, which was slowly expanding in his body, pushing out any warmth he had inside. He looked around and tried to make sense of noises coming to him from a distance, but he didn't hear anything familiar. No children's voices and laughs. He turned when he felt someone's presence behind him and saw Alp standing a few meters away, holding Kiraz in his arms.

"Why are you here, abi? You can't be here."

Serkan ignored his brother, and his gaze was focused on his daughter's eyes, which were full of tears. She let go of Alp and ran to him, and he squatted to receive her in his arms.

"Kiraz, my princess, why are you crying?"

"Because anne is crying. You have to come back to anne. You can't leave her."

"I'm not going to leave her, never." Serkan assured. He didn't understand why Kiraz was telling him he left Eda. He never left her.

"But you did. Your heart is not beating." Kiraz put her little hand on Serkan's chest, and he covered it with his hand. Her hand was burning him as if she was very warm or he was very cold. 

"If you won't go back, there will be no me and my brother."

Serkan understood that it was he who was cold. He moved his hand under Kiraz's palm to search for his pulse, but there was none.