Chapter 13

The words of the police officer resonated in Eda's head.

It wasn't an accident. It was a case of hit-and-run. Do you know if there is someone who wants to hurt you? Do you have any enemies?

Eda didn't know. Two weeks ago, at least two weeks, according to her memory, she would be sure that she didn't have any enemies. But after the events of the forgotten year, who knew, maybe she acquired some enemies she simply didn't remember.

"Eda, we should think about protection. But right now, you can't leave on your own. It's too dangerous. Since we don't know anything about the attacker, and with your memory loss, you are a too easy target." Serkan broke Eda's train of thought. She looked at him. "And what about you? I'm going to stay at home, and you will be going out to work?"

Serkan didn't stop his nervous pacing. "I can care for my safety by myself, and I have protection in Artlife."

"So you can go freely, but I have to sit here." Eda said coldly, and Serkan noticed how her whole body tensed. He tried to reason with her. "Eda, this is not what I meant. The police are convinced somebody is after you."

"It seems exactly what you meant." Eda answered him, fisting her hands from anger. "And why do you assume I was the target. Because it was my car? It could be you or both of us. Who knows how many enemies you have, Serkan? I am sure you've managed to piss a lot of people."

Serkan stopped in front of her and looked into her eyes. "Like you right now?" He asked in a bitter tone.

"Yes, like me right now. How can you even think you can close me here like I am your prisoner!"

Now Serkan closed his fist, immediately starting to get agitated. "Oh, this is how you feel here with me, like in prison? I can guarantee you I can make it happen if you want!" He shouted, starting his pacing again. He was getting pissed with Eda's reaction when all he did was try to come up with a plan how to assure her safety.

"What is wrong with you? Couldn't you just leave me alone?" Eda shouted at him. She didn't care that Serkan might be right. She was too angry that he ignored his own safety.

"No, I can't!" Serkan retorted. "Somebody is after you, but you, instead of complying with the safety measures just for a little while, have to be stubborn and behave like a petulant child! Can't you once, just once, not throw a hissy fit and listen to me?!"

Serkan's words only worsened Eda's anger and made her want to defy him just to prove the point. She hated when anyone was telling her how she should act. "I can behave however I want to, Serkan! And you have nothing to do with it!" She stopped in front of him, forcing him to stop and turn to her.

"I have everything to do with it!" He shouted back, and Eda's nostrils flared.

"Yeah, says who?!"

"Says me!"

Eda came to him even closer. Almost touching his nose with hers while he looked at her with fury. "Öyle mi? Whose world do you think you live in, Serkan Bolat?"

"Apparently, I live in your magical fairyland! But lately, fairy became a little unstable!!!"

Eda's eyes widened at his mention of fairy. She had heard enough of her for her whole life. "Oh, your precious, perfect fairy! Too bad, she is not here anymore!"

"What do you mean?" Serkan asked quietly, taken aback at her cryptic words.

"You must really miss her, but for your information, there is no fairy here, and she apparently doesn't want to come back to you! Otherwise, she would make an appearance already!!"