Chapter 1. Not a Waitress

The research on bar procedures come from online resources and my daughter Lindsay D

The research on bar procedures come from online resources and my daughter Lindsay D. (an actual former bartender) who pointed out that real bartenders don't have time for extended conversations with bar patrons. She worked for a well-known Canadian restaurant chain that had busy bar service so if your experience as a bartender was different chalk it up to different restaurant protocols and country.

It was an accident. The rowdy trio of guys at the Avengers charity event in Green's Tavern didn't mean to knock Paige into the table when she was helping the busy servers clear the tables. They certainly didn't intend that the corner of the table ripped into her pantyhose and tore a big hole in them. It also wasn't their fault that when Paige went into the kitchen to reach up under her skirt and pull the torn hose down, slipping her heels off in the process, that one of the Avengers in attendance, the tall, dark, quiet one that the women servers were calling a hottie just happened to open the door to ask if there was anyone working behind the bar.

"I'm sorry," he said, his face turning pink, as he caught Paige with her pantyhose half off. "I didn't mean to intrude. Are you one of the waitresses?"

"I'm not a waitress," stated Paige, irritated. "They're called servers now. I'm the bartender. Just experienced a major wardrobe malfunction." He was still looking at her. "Do you mind? Some privacy?"

"Sorry," he said, looking away. "I guess I'll wait until you're ready to come back out."

He stepped out and Paige shook her head in disbelief. The door opened and Kane, the tavern manager, walked in.

"Paige! Why the hell is the bar unattended?"

"I tore my pantyhose helping the servers clear the tables, okay? I didn't even take the time to go the bathroom to remove them there, thinking I could get it done back here quicker, which I could if I didn't keep getting interrupted. Can you man it for like a minute until I can get back out there?"

She looked at the tall, moustached man who glared at her but went back out to man the bar temporarily. Shaking her head at his lack of management skills she finally got the offending pantyhose off, throwing them in the garbage thinking of the ten dollars she wasted on that purchase and slipped her shoes back on. Hustling back through the door to the bar she joined Kane behind the counter and looked to see who was next. The tall Avenger raised his hand but before she could take his order another guy leaned in at the service bar and yelled at her.

"Two Snakebites, babe!" he said, not noticing the glare from the Avenger. "Quick! I'm playing darts."

Shaking his head, the Avenger raised his hands in surrender and Paige splashed some lime juice into two shot glasses and topped them off with Canadian Club. The rude man handed her a twenty and took off with his shots. Shrugging she looked at it and put the change into the tip drawer. Then she smiled at the dark-haired Avenger, still sitting patiently at the wood.